Highlighted

Rainbow Curser Spins constantly while running LR on new iMac!

New Here ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently purchased a new iMac. It's running on Mojave. I spoke with AppleCare today and they suggested I update to Catalina. 

I am a photographer and my issue is when I try to edit photos in LR or Photoshop, I get the rainbow "wait" cursor for absolutely everything I try to do. It takes an incredibly long time for it to stop spinning, 30 seconds or longer each time and sometimes it doesn't stop spinning and I have to force quit. When LR isn't running, computer is fine and cursor doesn't do this. 

I bought the new computer bc old one was having hard drive issues. This one has 817 GB of storage, 8GB memory and I just do not understand what's going on. Has anyone had this issue and have a fix for it? I will call Adobe on Monday, but really need to work on photos this weekend and it's not possible to work like this. 

Thanks! 

Topics

Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Rainbow Curser Spins constantly while running LR on new iMac!

New Here ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently purchased a new iMac. It's running on Mojave. I spoke with AppleCare today and they suggested I update to Catalina. 

I am a photographer and my issue is when I try to edit photos in LR or Photoshop, I get the rainbow "wait" cursor for absolutely everything I try to do. It takes an incredibly long time for it to stop spinning, 30 seconds or longer each time and sometimes it doesn't stop spinning and I have to force quit. When LR isn't running, computer is fine and cursor doesn't do this. 

I bought the new computer bc old one was having hard drive issues. This one has 817 GB of storage, 8GB memory and I just do not understand what's going on. Has anyone had this issue and have a fix for it? I will call Adobe on Monday, but really need to work on photos this weekend and it's not possible to work like this. 

Thanks! 

Topics

Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jao_vdL LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8GB of memory is quite low nowadays and I would expect it to not be too fast especially if the hard drive is a spinning disk instead of a SSD and Apple still sells machines with really slow spinning disks in them. That said 20 second wait times is very long even under those conditions. It is especially strange you see that in Photoshop as that should work fine on that machine in general. I am suprised the new iMac would be running Mojave. Did you buy it second hand? The advise to update is OK I guess but I doubt it will make much difference. There are some speed ups you can expect but I doubt it would fix this. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps you have external disks or hardware connected that somehow is spun up when you go to edit.  Are your catalog and images on the internal disk? Also what version of Lightroom are you running?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines