Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

raw editing saved?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

I needed to completly delete and reinstall everything om my macbook. My raw pictures was safely saved in my iCloud. No worries, i thought.

But after reinstalled the Lightroom Classic and opening the images, I realized that all my editing of the Raw photos is gone!

Is there any chance that this "edit files" has been stored i any cloud somwhere? Or are they lost for ever?

Helena

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to inform you but unless you had the option to Auto Write Changes to XMP switch on or you did a Ctrl/Com + s, which write the edits to an XMP file, keystroke for every image all your edits are only in the LrC catalog file.

Do you have a Copy of your original LrC Catalog file?

If you do you can open that and all your edits will show for each image you have edited. That is IF all your images are in the same location they were in before you wiped and reinstalled everything on your computer.

LrC never changes your original RAW files, or any files. That is the point of the program. To Preserve the Original RAW digital image file like it was a Film Negative.

I suggest you view some of the LrC online tutorials on how LrC works and how to properly work with LrC. You can do that on the Adobe website, they are free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have now switch on the "Auto Write Changes to XMP"so this never happens again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also you need to be aware that writing data to the file does not write 100% of what you do in LrC, things that are specific to LrC like, collections, publish services, virtual copies, edit history etc is not written to the file.

Only your Catalog file stores all your data. Have Lightroom save your Catalog backup files to a different disk than the same one with the original. You can also store a copy in online storage.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you (or Time Machine) make a backup copy of your Lightroom catalog file before you did this re-install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, mybe Time machine did! Have to check this 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a word to the wise, for future reference

You should never be in the situation where maybe you have made backups of your catalog file and of your photos. You should always be 100% sure that regular backups are being made, and you should be 100% sure you know what disk or cloud service they are located on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines