• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raw Images appear different to the Image that was taken (Lightroom Classic)

New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was in the middle of editing a wedding session, when all of the sudden the images start to appear totally different from the original RAW file. When I started editing the Gallery everything was fine. Then after some time I realised, that the programm makes some images appear way brighter then the original RAW files. I didn't change anything or imported them with a preset. They sometimes look just like the shot RAW picture in the Library but look totally different in the Development section. I can't reset this "editing" made by the program. Also the Preview Image on the left side appears right in the first second but then switches. 

I am using a Canon EOS R and never had any problems with my files. 
Does anyone know where this weird "editing" comes from and how I can get my original original RAW file look back? It is really frustrating to see the original Image being made way brighter, then intended.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-01 um 22.24.03.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us the History Panel of this photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-01 um 22.50.05.png
As you can tell the navigator image also changed to the overexposed version. The original Raw file is not that overexposed and looks like on the navigator image in the initial screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The histogram for the image displayed indicates that the image IS dramatically overexposed. That is why Lightroom displays it as it does. That is why there are adjustment tools in Lightroom to make corrections as needed. Lightroom is not capable of reading in-camera settings. If you want to take the time to establish default settings for your cameras, that will help improve initial display your images. However, you must expect to make adjustments using the Lightroom tools in order to optimize the quality of your images. That's what Lightroom is for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image was not taken overexposed. It was taken as it shows on the left side. Lightroom changes it up after a few seconds in the development section. As you can see on the left side (Navigator) the whites are not burned out and the overall color is less yellow. I know there exist Camera profiles but that doesn't fix the overexposing, that lightroom applies to the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-01 um 22.55.35.png

I know what Lightroom is for and I've never had any problems with my RAW images. I don't use any in camera setting for exposure or special color profiles. Half of this session works just fine and lighroom shows me this exact RAW image in the development section but the other half gets overexposed by the program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JP Hess wrote:

The histogram for the image displayed indicates that the image IS dramatically overexposed. 

Lightroom Classic can't show the user anything about exposure (an attribute that takes place solely at capture) from the Histogram or otherwise; you need a raw Histogram for that. Lightroom Classic is showing the current rendering is too bright and that's why the Histogram looks that way. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have Embedded & Sidecar selected in the Import module File Handling> Build Previews selected. This uses the camera embedded JPEG preview until you either apply a Develop setting or build Previews in the Library module. The double-arrow icon on the thumbnail indicates the Embeded & Sidecar preview is still active and LrC Previews have not been built. You may have an in-camera setting that LrC can not apply that is causing the issue. If you upload one of the files to Dropbox or other file sharing site we can see if that's what's causing the issue.

Previews.jpg

Previews2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever solved? I'm having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same problem, please help :'( 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What problem, specifically?

Lightroom can't "overexpose" relative to what you see on the camera LCD. It's exactly the same sensor data!

This usually boils down to the misunderstanding that there is such a thing as an "original" raw file. There isn't. Any raw file has to be processed to result in a usable image. What you see is a result of that processing of the sensor data.

The difference is that what you see on the camera LCD has been processed automatically, with fixed parameters that you have no control over. In Lightroom you set those parameters yourself, instead of leaving it to some algorithm.

As long as you haven't overexposed the shot, making sure the sensor pixels haven't been saturated to the clipping point, you can recover those highlights in Lightroom, and produce the same result as the camera processing.

If you have overexposed the sensor and blown out the highlights, the camera processing can't fix that either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the image on the left is what the nef file looks like when opened on windows, and the right is that same file in lightroom. my import is set to adobe default. the picture might have been a little overexposed in camera but definitely not to this degree. 

and the processed image on my camera lcd was not as exposed as this.

reference.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still, my point remains: it's the same original sensor data. It's the same camera exposure, just differently processed.

But yes, I agree that this is more of a difference than you will usually see. One frequent reason for that is "style/profile" settings in the camera menu. These will be baked into the camera-processed version - but entirely ignored by Lightroom.

Or vice versa, you have a Lightroom import preset, or a Lightroom default set to increase exposure. The Lightroom version is simply a data dump from the sensor, at whatever default settings you have (which you can change).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately neither applies in this case but i tried importing them into lightroom cc and it is completely fine there, guess i'm making the transition to Lr classic. thanks for your help regardless! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue when shooting raw with eos R, the preview image in library is fine but in develop it completely messes up, changes after 1 sec to extremely overexposed. Also none of my presets work with raw. 

Funny thing is that I shoot jpeg 99% of the time so it's all good, otherwise I'd have no idea how to fix this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is all replying to a VERY old thread. Better to start a new one. That said, people should know about a setting they should consider using. In Preferences->Presets, change the raw defaults to "camera settings". For many cameras, this will read the camera settings and attempt to approximate the in-camera jpeg rendering in the default rendering in Lightroom. For already imported images (the setting only applies to new imports) just select the "camera settings" preset in the "defaults" section of the presets panel for the same result. This is really just for your starting point as none of this actually affects the data in the raw file, just how it is initially rendered and doing this lowers the amount of surprise for people.

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 10.42.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines