Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raw, PDF and Tiff files are disintegrating

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20200903_100923.jpg

I use Lightroom Classic Ver 9.4 ... and I'm seeing my image files disintergrate before my eyes. Is there anyway to stop this and possibly fix the the files that have become corrupted? I'm also then unable to open in any other image application.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance). Any better?
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I'll turn off the GPU and see how it goes. Not sure what an ICC profile is! Will research ... Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what Ive just read ICC profiles are for printing not for screen display... have I misunderstood something here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks more like a corrupted RAW file. Now, the embedded JPEG may not be corrupt, hence it looks ok when viewing on back of camera, and looks good when first importing the RAW as you first see that embedded JPEG before LrC creates a preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding David. These files have been on my computer for some time. Some are files that I have edited and have become tiff format or pdf...they are slowly getting corrupted somehow!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"These files have been on my computer for some time."

Yes, this is a clear indication of a hard disk malfunction somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be looking at hard drive failure and corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my thought as well, but the files were sitting on an external drive which I replaced with a brand new drive. It seems that I'm having the same issue on the new drive as I had with the old one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "The Same Issue" with the new drive?

Did you Copy over those same files from the old drive to the new?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Copying corrupted files to a new disk does not uncorrupt them. They remain corrupted.

You need to restore the photos from a recent backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines