• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW photo's lose original color profile after import

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got a new camera, a Sony A7iii and I'm currently renting a Canon 24-105mm to test. Anyway, I took some photos and I was shooting in RAW, I imported them into Lightroom the photos got automatically edited and the photo lost it's flat profile. I was shooting in SLOG-2, just in case that's useful information. This only started happening with the photos from the new camera I'm using, so I'm not sure if there is a setting I need to change in order to stop it from doing this, because I would like to be able to edit my photos how I want.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are dealing with new cameras, check the settings used by the Import dialog.

Also check the camera profile that is being applied to the images. The default is "adobe standard". You are probably looking for "camera neutral". The way I get around this is to apply an import preset selected in the Import dialog where the preset contains the settings for "camera neutral".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw images do not have a color profile. The camera can write profile information in the EXIF data, but that is all. The raw data do not change. A color profile is only applied at the moment the raw image is converted to RGB. Lightroom does not have SLOG-2 as a profile for photos, so that is why 'applying' it in the camera won't work. You will have to use a Lightroom profile that does the same thing, or make your own profile via Camera Raw.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

S-Log is primarily a video profile that is used in-camera during the processing. N.B., video is processed output like jpeg, unless you have one of the few (and expensive) cameras that will output raw video. Most Sony cameras will allow you also to use it in still jpg processing. Its purpose in both cases is to minimize data loss during that processing by creating a flat image that is unattractive but good for further editing/color grading. IOW, its sole purpose is to be an intermediate and temporary stage in the life of a jpg. Not as good as a Raw, but better than a fully processed jpg in regard to available data. As such it makes no sense to apply it in LR since the Raw is already a flat container for all the capture data. After applying S-Log or Canon’s C-log or a similar flat profile the next step would be to edit it away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines