Highlighted

Raw setting lose after reorganize a foder - UK/FR

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello There,

I decide today to reorganize the folder of a trip I did.
All raw were all together, and decide to reorganize it by day of the trip…
Bad news...all setting done of pics already edited are lost now I have updated my folder in Lightroom...
Any chance to recover my settings?

Bonjour aux francophones...
j'ai modifié l'organisation d'un dossier correspondant à un voyage.
J'avais commencé à travailler pas mal de mes photos et aujourd'hui, j'ai eu la fausse bonne idée de réorganiser ce dossier en sous dossiers jour par jour de ce voyage…
Une fois synchronisé dans lightroom...j'ai perdu tout mes réglages déjà faits sur mes photos éditées...
Une idée s'il y a moyen de récupérer les réglages ?...

Merci à vous !

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Raw setting lose after reorganize a foder - UK/FR

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello There,

I decide today to reorganize the folder of a trip I did.
All raw were all together, and decide to reorganize it by day of the trip…
Bad news...all setting done of pics already edited are lost now I have updated my folder in Lightroom...
Any chance to recover my settings?

Bonjour aux francophones...
j'ai modifié l'organisation d'un dossier correspondant à un voyage.
J'avais commencé à travailler pas mal de mes photos et aujourd'hui, j'ai eu la fausse bonne idée de réorganiser ce dossier en sous dossiers jour par jour de ce voyage…
Une fois synchronisé dans lightroom...j'ai perdu tout mes réglages déjà faits sur mes photos éditées...
Une idée s'il y a moyen de récupérer les réglages ?...

Merci à vous !

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you removed and then reimported the pictures? You should not have done that. Edits are stored in the catalog, not in the pictures. Do you have a catalog backup from before you did this?

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Johan,

No I didnt removed and reimported my pictures.
On my Hard Drive, I reorganize my Files in sub-folders (day 01...Day 02...)
After that in Lightromm, I sync the original folder (which still exist) to make him recognize the subfolder...then, I lose my edits…

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sync process will import images the Lightroom does not recognize as having been previously imported. So yes the files were reimported.
Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 9.4, Lr 3.4.2, Ps 21.2.4, Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sync folder is a dangerous process, as you have found out. If, according to Lightroom, a photo is not in the operating system folder (which appears to be the case when you did this), the photo is REMOVED from your Lightroom catalog and your edits are gone. Then, it finds photos in subfolders that are not in the catalog file, and these are considered entirely new photos to Lightroom with no edits, and so they are imported (this part of Sync Folders is the same as Import).

I would strongly advise you to not use Sync Folders any more, unless you are 100% sure it will do what you want (which in this case it did not do).

Nevertheless, if you have a backup of your catalog file before you performed this Sync Folders, that's where your edits can be found. If you don't have a backup (why not?) then your last hope is XMP files, but these are not created by default. If they are there, you can still recover your edits, otherwise, your edits are all gone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 3
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help and answer Paige.
I did a lot of time Sync with no lose at all...
BUT, the difference today, it's the first time I think I'm doing sync for new sub-folders…that is probably the limit…Sync with no change from a drive for another is OK...sync with new folders…nope 🙂
Not a big deal...I learned something today !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even so, Emmanuel, you'd be better off not synchronizing folders, and simply importing new photos. Importing simply is a better habit. Importing is the same thing as synchronizing folders in some sitautions, but not in all situations, and importing NEVER EVER EVER deletes photos from your catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 0
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Il faut aussi copier les fichiers side-cars en .xmp et vous retrouverez vos réglages mais cela il faut le faire sous Finder ou sous le file manager Windows.

Vous pouvez vous éviter tous ces ennuis en convertissant toutes vos photos en.dng

Best Regards
Eric Pecquerie
Sent from my iPad Pro

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Bad news...all setting done of pics already edited are lost now I have updated my folder in Lightroom..."

Did you remove the photos from your catalog, or not? If not, then reorganizing photos using your operating system, even if you re-imported the photos, does not cause your edits to be lost. The edits are still in your catalog (unless you also deleted the photos from your catalog). To fix the problem, you can (using your operating system) put the photos back into a single folder, with the same name as previous.

If you did, then you need to have a backup of your catalog file which still contains the edits, then the above fix ought to work with the backup catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GOOD NEWS...Thank you all for your Help.
What I did, I opened my catalog from last week...and all was OK...
Now, I'm creating sub-folder, not directly for my desktop...but in lightroom after had selecting photos which to be together…
Nothing lose this time…

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syncing folders is useful if you are careful.  Here is a great article by the Lightroom Queen about the dangers of Syncing Folders

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/synchronize-folder/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 2