Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raw support Canon 77d.

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.

Before purchasing my new Canon 77d, I checked to see if the raw format is supported. I does show on the supported list.

However, the first photos I tried to import showed that the raw format is not supported, it opens in Photoshop though, but not in Lightroom.

This is kind of a crisis, as my workload is piling up.

Regards

Rina Heydenreich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 77D requires Lightroom Version 6.10  or CC2015.10  as a minimum.

What Version NUMBER is your Lightroom?

Post the top 10 lines from-  LR Menu: HELP > SYSTEM INFO...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5.7.1

I have no idea what I should do next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to buy a newer version of Lightroom. Either you buy a perpetual version of Lightroom 6 or a CC subscribtion, ex photographer plan. If you decide for Lightroom 6 you have to know that there's no more support for newer cameras, new functions or bug fixes.

Another solutions is to convert the RAW files into the DNG format. Then you can iomport these converted files into your version of Lightroom. The appropriate converter you can download here: Adobe Digital Negative Converter 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your options are-

1)  Buy an upgrade to Version 6.0  then update (free) to v6.14   (This is the last Perpetual version available.)

Download and install Lightroom 6 (Single App license)

Adobe software and product updates

2)  Download the (free) Adobe DNG Converter and use it to change your Canon raw files to DNG raw files, then import the DNGs into Lightroom.

DNG Pros, Cons and Myths | Adobe Blog

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

or the BEST option-

3) Subscribe to the Creative Cloud Photography plan and always have the latest versions of Lightroom- Classic, Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom-CC.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do actually have a subscription to Creative Cloud Photography plan. But it says my Lightroom is up to date (probably this version). Where do I look for the new version to download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Creative Cloud Desktop App-

If you really have v5.71, then you are a long, long, way behind!

Click on the three dots:

ScreenShot095.jpg

Screen Shot 006.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I have to uninstall this version first? It does not give me an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now there may be a problem with your computer-

Is it a 32bit system?   Is it possibly 'old'?

Lightroom Classic requires a 64bit system. Check in 'Control Panel' > System.

Also, try signing out of the Desktop App then Sign In again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, its a 32 bit system....

Am I screwed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screwed?

Updating- yes! Sorry.

Your only option now is the DNG method.

When you convert a FOLDER of your Canon raw files to DNG, you create the DNG raw versions that can be imported into any version of Lightroom.

You lose nothing in quality. The raw data is exactly the same.

It just means you will need to include the conversion in your workflow.

Check out the links I gave in Post#5 above.

Note- This is NOT the option to [Import as DNG]  in the Lightroom Import dialog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to try that first, but just booked my update for later this week!!! S C R E W E D...

Thank you so much for your advice! You really really helped me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just booked my update

Not sure what you mean by this! You cannot update Lightroom.

A 32bit computer cannot run any version of Lightroom from V6.0 onwards.

You will need a new computer system to run the latest versions.

The DNG Converter is free and easy to download and use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meant booked my update for my computer, computer technician said they build in a 64bit system hard drive or something like that.. But definitely is trying out the converter first. Already finished downloading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 64bit system will require a new Mother-board and CPU (not just a hard-drive).

Or a totally new laptop!

FYI- One little step catches many out, and that is- the Converter program must select a FOLDER of images to convert. If you select individual files then it does nothing.

So Copy your camera files from the camera card to a folder in your computer.

I also suggest not to include the original raws within the DNGs as this doubles the size of the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rinaheydenreich  wrote

Meant booked my update for my computer, computer technician said they build in a 64bit system hard drive or something like that.. But definitely is trying out the converter first. Already finished downloading.

Unless you are running a computer that is 12+ years old all computers since around 2006 have had 64bit cpu's and can run, although slow, 64bit operating systems.

Whoever built your current system just skimped on installing a 64bit version of Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My computer is actually not even a year old!

I'm not happy with this guy at all, after I specifically asked for a system that can run Photoshop and Lighroom effortlessly for the next few years!

The conversion fixed the problem for now,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people would suggest to use the Canon software (DPP ?) to 'open' your raw CR2 files, but you are then working outside the Lightroom environment and would need to create derivative files for editing in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Lightroom does not use the Camera Raw plugin. Lightroom has the Camera Raw engine built into its program code so you have to be running at least the minimum version of Lightroom shown on the attached link to open Raw files from the relevant camera in Lightroom.

The 77d has been supported since Lightroom 6.10 (CC 2015.10).

Which version of Lightroom are you running? In Lightroom, click Help > System Info to see exactly which version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines