• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW to DNG. Why did this launch automatically?

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I import all my RAW files to Lightroom and edit them without converting them to DNG format.  With that last software upgrade, LR is converting all my RAW files to DNG.  I don't want this.  It is super-time-consuming.  How do I stop it from converting my files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

I really appreciate that, but I did check that.  I've got "Add" highlighted.  Should I have just highlighted "Copy?"  I will try that and come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it converting every raw file to DNG, or just new imports? If it's just new imports then perhaps you have overlooked what option is selected at the top of the import dialog, perhaps the option to "Copy as DNG" has been selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is only converting the new files I import.

I did not change any settings between the old SW and Update.

One should "have to select" photos to be converted and "choose to convert."  I have never done this.

It doesn't damage anything that this occurs, but it is VERY time consuming when I process hundreds.

Is there some way to make it stop?

MAC OS btw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is definitely a way to make it stop. The next time you import, double check the options right at the top of the import dialog in the middle of the top border. There are different options. I suspect that somehow, either automatically or you have inadvertently chosen the "Copy as DNG" option and you want to change to the "Add" option.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate that, but I did check that.  I've got "Add" highlighted.  Should I have just highlighted "Copy?"  I will try that and come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the Add option should have simply added the images. I don't know why that option would have automatically converted to DNG. Wait a minute! The Add option is when you are adding images that are already on your hard drive, and the Copy option is when you are copying images from your camera card to your computer. So yes, the Copy option is what you would want to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me as well, but this did the trick. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.  "COPY" just copied the RAW files as CR2 while "Add" launched the convert to DNG automatically.  Very odd.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had about 1,500 photos to process and this drove me nuts.  I'd checked out all the "DNG" information and verified that I hadn't accidentally clicked on it.  I appreciate getting someone to help me think through it.  /D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the ones that converted to DNG won't kill you. My experience with DNG files has all been positive. In your case, just a little time-consuming for the conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ignorant! I imported the way I always have imported files this way. This shouldn't have happened. You people obviously have no idea what the customer wants. How do I the files back without a big pain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jack+II  wrote

This is ignorant! I imported the way I always have imported files this way. This shouldn't have happened. You people obviously have no idea what the customer wants. How do I the files back without a big pain?

"You people"? We are not Adobe here. Please direct your concerns to Adobe rather than to this forum, which is 99% other Lightroom users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jack+II  wrote

I have no idea what went wrong. I don't work for Adobe. I have no connection with Adobe or their engineering staff. I don't know anyone who works for Adobe. I'm just another user like yourself who tries to provide assistance where I can. If you don't like my answers, I apologize. If you still have the images on the camera card you can try importing them again and double checking your import options. If you don't then I suppose you will have to live with what you have. In most instances, when images don't get imported the way users expect them to be imported, it is usually because of user error. That's all I can say about this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No disrespect meant. Just frustrated, but not at you. Thought maybe the Adobe folks would read it. Eventually I just redownloaded the card again after deleting the DNGs.

Thanks for yourresponse.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have encountered the same problem after an update and did not select the convert to dng option. I searched to find out the difference between nef and dng and found this link. I will now see if I can fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic automatically converts my Cr2 raw files to DNG.  I see that you are supposed to be able to choose DNG or not.  Now that it automatically imported as DNG it will not allow me to choose anything else.  I'm ready to get rid of it.  Way too time consuming.  I have the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking back to your posts I see you have a Canon M5- Correct?

This camera, and the CR2 files, has been supported by Lightroom-Classic since cc2015.8

ScreenShot388.jpg

Now if you are seeing DNG raw files there are three ways these can be created-

1) YOU used the Adobe DNG Converter software

2) You IMPORTED the files to the Catalog with the [COPY as DNG] option checked.

3) You selected the CR2 files in the Catalog and used the MENU to Convert the CR2s to DNG.

Do you know which way you converted your CR2s?

If you do not want the raw files as DNG- (Going forward) simply IMPORT the CR2 files with the "COPY"  option.

Or if the CR2s are already in your hard-drive folders- IMPORT with the "ADD" option.

If you cannot Import with either of these two options, then something else is amiss and you need to explain more with error messages quoted and screen-clips.

(You cannot make the DNGs 'go back' to CR2, unless you embedded the original CR2 in the DNG)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a Canon M5.  Thanks for responding.  I tossed Lightroom Classic out of frustration, trying to follow directions, but it just kept converting.  I wasn't using the catalogue, just trying to import from my raw files on my laptop.  I'd rather use my own system for organizing.  I wasn't using the converter software, either.  I had no intention of converting.  Add vs Copy might have been the problem.  So it looks like I should always use ADD.  You must get frustrated with our repetitive questions.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines