Re-connecting with missing photos

Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An external hard drive with LrC photos failed recently.  I managed to find the photos from another source and they are now on a new hard drive.  I am struggling to reconnect the Missing Photos, despite trying some of the suggestions.  The problem is I need to reconnect thousands of photos which are now located on my new hard drive.  Unfortunately, the recovered photos are in a large number of different folders under years/months/days.  I can find them all, but it appears I would need to reconnect the photos one at a time, which will take me years.  I just wondered if there was any smart way to reconnect large numbers at a time.

I tried "Would you like to locate it?" (previous location of dead HD given).  I then go to the new hard drive, but it seems LrC cannot search a drive for this photo.  I have to find it myself from the date on the thumbnail of missing photos.  The "Would you like to locate it" doesn't seem to do give any kind of search option - bit like having a dog and barking yourself!  

So I find the original photo again, and select it.  Of course, it doesn't have the same file number as the missing photo thumbnail, since I recovered it from elsewhere, so I get "The file is associated with another photo in the catalog" "Each file can only be associated with one photo?"  I am guessing the "photo in the catalog" is the thumbnail of missing photos?  I seem to be going around in circles with this

So it now appears there is no way I can proceed except by deleting all of the "Missing Photographs" thumbnails (?) with the exclamation marks, to get rid of them from the catalogue (?),  and starting again with Lightroom to upload them from my recovered thousands.  

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Re-connecting with missing photos

Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An external hard drive with LrC photos failed recently.  I managed to find the photos from another source and they are now on a new hard drive.  I am struggling to reconnect the Missing Photos, despite trying some of the suggestions.  The problem is I need to reconnect thousands of photos which are now located on my new hard drive.  Unfortunately, the recovered photos are in a large number of different folders under years/months/days.  I can find them all, but it appears I would need to reconnect the photos one at a time, which will take me years.  I just wondered if there was any smart way to reconnect large numbers at a time.

I tried "Would you like to locate it?" (previous location of dead HD given).  I then go to the new hard drive, but it seems LrC cannot search a drive for this photo.  I have to find it myself from the date on the thumbnail of missing photos.  The "Would you like to locate it" doesn't seem to do give any kind of search option - bit like having a dog and barking yourself!  

So I find the original photo again, and select it.  Of course, it doesn't have the same file number as the missing photo thumbnail, since I recovered it from elsewhere, so I get "The file is associated with another photo in the catalog" "Each file can only be associated with one photo?"  I am guessing the "photo in the catalog" is the thumbnail of missing photos?  I seem to be going around in circles with this

So it now appears there is no way I can proceed except by deleting all of the "Missing Photographs" thumbnails (?) with the exclamation marks, to get rid of them from the catalogue (?),  and starting again with Lightroom to upload them from my recovered thousands.  

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 05, 2020 0
Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.

2020-11-19 10_13_55-Pasting images into posts - Adobe Support Community - 11608749.png
Thank you.

Look here to Reconnect your image files.

Find moved or missing files and folders Computer-Darkroom

Find Missing Photos—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen

Find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom Adobe Help System

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 05, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the recovered photos are in a large number of different folders under years/months/days.

This may prevent you from re-connecting photos in bulk. This likely makes the process much more tedious and manual.

"The file is associated with another photo in the catalog" Each file can only be associated with one photo?

Yes

Search your catalog for a photo with the exact same name, is it in the catalog? When you find it, is the photo marked as missing with an exclamation point icon (!) ?

Show us what you find.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 05, 2020 0