Highlighted

Re-uploading photos after external hard drive crash

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently had an external hard drive crash on me and lost a bunch of photos. Luckily, there were some that I didn't delete off of my camera's SD card and I had a backup of the Lightroom catalog. When I went to go reupload the photos from my camera's SD card to the backup of my Lightroom catalog, I found that the photos that I had edited or included in collections now have two copies: one of the reuploaded photo and one blank photo (presumably the old photo) that says "photo missing". 

Is there any way to relink these different copies of the photos? Or restore my collections to how they previously were? Or is this not possible unless the data from my external hard drive is somehow recovered? 

Thanks so much for any advice and help!
Oliver

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Re-uploading photos after external hard drive crash

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently had an external hard drive crash on me and lost a bunch of photos. Luckily, there were some that I didn't delete off of my camera's SD card and I had a backup of the Lightroom catalog. When I went to go reupload the photos from my camera's SD card to the backup of my Lightroom catalog, I found that the photos that I had edited or included in collections now have two copies: one of the reuploaded photo and one blank photo (presumably the old photo) that says "photo missing". 

Is there any way to relink these different copies of the photos? Or restore my collections to how they previously were? Or is this not possible unless the data from my external hard drive is somehow recovered? 

Thanks so much for any advice and help!
Oliver

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 07, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uploading — I think you mean Importing.

If you have a catalog, Importing the photos again is the wrong thing to do, and turns into the problem you see. The proper thing to do is to re-connect the Lightroom catalog to the photos, as explained here: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

and

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
Tony_See LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see any duplicates caught by LRC in your new Catalog?

duplicates.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0