• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rearranging folder structure

Engaged ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of ongoing problems with Lightroom's folder view (hello Adobe?) I've decided to reorganize the physical folder structure for my hundreds of thousands of photos.

My current folder structure looks like this:

YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name

x many shoots

I'll be reorganizing to this format:

[2017]

- YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name

- YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name

- etc.

[2018]

- YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name

- YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name

- etc.

[2019]

- YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name

- YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name

- etc.

What's the best way or reorganizing this so that I minimize any downtime with Lightroom?  Do I reorganize the files with Windows Explorer and then click a million times in Lightroom to find missing files or is there a better way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know if this is the "best way" but it is the method I would use.

If the [YEAR] folders do not already exist-

In Lr folder panel, Right-Click on your top parent folder in Lr (eg. Photos go here, Images, etc)

Choose [Create folder inside "parent folder" ]

Name it by "YEAR"  "2017"etc . Repeat for 2018, 2019...etc.

Now in the Lightroom Folder panel-

Select ALL the FOLDERS that begin with the year 2017 (eg. 2017-MM-DD Shoot Name)  (Ctrl+click each,  or Click first- Shift+click last)

Drag the selected FOLDERS to the YEAR folder. Repeat for each "Year".

This will move the folders from their current location into a parent YEAR folder.

Some suggest that moving large numbers of files in folders with Lightroom can be risky, so either use the method above for a few folders at a time, or another method often suggested is-

In the OS File Browser-

Create the YEAR folders,

In the File Browser- Copy the {YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name} folders into the YEAR folder,

In Lightroom Relink the 'old' FOLDER location to the 'new' FOLDER location in the folder panel by-

Right-click on {YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name} and choose [Update Folder Location] , selecting the copied folder under [YEAR].

Later you can delete the original folders.

This method means you will need to re-link every folder (not individual photos).

Some good info about organizing files and folders in the video at- https://laurashoe.com/2012/08/16/video-tutorial-organize-manage-photos-and-folders-in-lightroom/?utm...

And another from S.Kelby-

Move folders around in Lightroom |

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  That's very information helpful.  Have you used this method?  What is the risk of doing this?

It will already be a painful process to update each folder location.  I'm hoping to avoid an cascading complications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I thought I had better mention risk because there have been a few reports of files disappearing from the computer hard-drive when moving very large numbers of files.

You can minimize risk by doing a full backup of the current Catalog AND all your camera files to a separate hard-drive. If, in the rare case, that problems do arise you have these backups to restore fully.

Have you used this method?

Yes, but not for a total folder re-arrangement, mainly just moving one or two folders. (never a problem for me!)

So try the first 'Lightroom' method. Once you have a 'YEAR' folder in the Folder panel it is simply a Drag&Drop with the mouse to move one, or many, folders into each 'YEAR' folder. Try one folder move to begin.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add to the advice from WobertC that the user should already have backups of his catalog file and photos, that making backups should be a regular and on-going process, and not one that happens only when large amounts of moving take place.

Frosty writes:

Do I reorganize the files with Windows Explorer and then click a million times in Lightroom to find missing files or is there a better way?

Yes, the better way is to Find Missing Folder after you do the move in Windows Explorer. Then you only have to click once for each folder rather than once for each photo. Still a tedious process, but not as tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

I would like to add to the advice from WobertC  that the user should already have backups of his catalog file and photos, that making backups should be a regular and on-going process, and not one that happens only when large amounts of moving take place.

Most definitely.  That's taken care of.

dj_paige  wrote

Yes, the better way is to Find Missing Folder after you do the move in Windows Explorer. Then you only have to click once for each folder rather than once for each photo. Still a tedious process, but not as tedious.

It doesn't sound like there's necessarily a preferred method for doing this.  Some people swear by reorganizing within Lightroom, while many others recommend doing it in Windows Explorer.  I'm leaning toward doing it both ways. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm leaning toward doing it both ways.

I would like to see YOU lean both ways (at once)

700,000 file IS a 'very large' number!

You have the backups under control.

So in the 'end' you have some alternatives- and the choice is yours:

1. Re-organize entirely within Lightroom

2. Re-organize with File Explorer and re-link in Lr

3. Leave folders in the same file structure (just move and re-link)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC  wrote

Yes, I thought I had better mention risk because there have been a few reports of files disappearing from the computer hard-drive when moving very large numbers of files.

The file count is currently just shy of 700,000 photos.  Does that qualify as a "very large number"? 

You can minimize risk by doing a full backup of the current Catalog AND all your camera files to a separate hard-drive. If, in the rare case, that problems do arise you have these backups to restore fully.

I have multiple backups on Drobo devices, the cloud, etc.  I'm paranoid about data loss.

So try the first 'Lightroom' method. Once you have a 'YEAR' folder in the Folder panel it is simply a Drag&Drop with the mouse to move one, or many, folders into each 'YEAR' folder. Try one folder move to begin.

I forgot to mention that I'll also be switching the drive that contains photos - from D to E.  I'm beginning to think that I should break this into two steps.  1) reorganize the folder structure within Lightroom on D.  2) move/copy the photos to drive E and use Lightroom's "Find missing folder" to select E.

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way -and probably also the fastest way- is to forget about organising images in folders, and create a collection set / (smart) collections hierarchy like this. That means you will get the exact hierarchy you want, without having to move a single photo to another folder. Your images can remain in their current folders, because your folder hierarchy would be irrelevant.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan.  Occam's razor !

With the OP's folder structure as simple as it is already- "YYYY-MM-DD Shoot Name x many shoots", then Smart Collections is a good alternative answer to the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanEl54  wrote

The best way -and probably also the fastest way- is to forget about organising images in folders, and create a collection set / (smart) collections hierarchy like this. That means you will get the exact hierarchy you want, without having to move a single photo to another folder. Your images can remain in their current folders, because your folder hierarchy would be irrelevant.

I'll have to look more closely at this, but my first thought is that I want to continue using my existing folder structure-based workflow for numerous reasons (one of which is leaving the door open to switching away from Lightroom).  What's precipitating the need for any change is Lightroom's issue with displaying folders -- not me wanting to do this differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines