• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recognizing a Catalog on an external drive

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally work on a PC in LR classic with all images and catalog stored on a external HD but Catalog is also backed up to a folder on the PC. I am in a different location and have a MacBook laptop but when I plug in the external drive and go to the catalog I am getting this message.

Lightroom cannot open the catalog named LR5-2-2-2 locted on Volume "MASTER" because Lightroom cannot save changes to this location.

Lightroom Catalogs can not be opened on network volumes, removable storage, or read only volumes.

I'd really appreciate some help with this problem because I will be using the new MacBook while I am dislocated due to the pandemic. I never expected this recognition problem because I've been using external drives with LR and my PC for years. In finder I can see my files and catalog.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If   you are running Catalina on your macbook pro you need to setup permissions in your  System Preferences>Security  and Privacy> Files and Folders (and Full Disk Access). You will have to unlock the settings by adding your password then add Lightroom in the right hand column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing to check: What file system format are the external drives from your PC?

Earlier versions of the Mac OS cannot write to NTFS drives. I don't know if that is now working in the current versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It seems that the problem is the PC format. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the file system is the problem, the possible solutions are:

• If it's NTFS, you can get software like Microsoft NTFS for Mac that can let a Mac read/write that file system.
  • If you want the drive to be read on both PCs and Macs without extra software, you can use Apple Disk Utility to reformat it as FAT32 or ExFAT.
  • If you only need it to be read/written by a Mac, you can reformat it as HFS+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines