• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recover Images

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR 6.10 - my external hard drive crashed - it is a WD 8TB and the drives are encased in helium - only one firm that I know of does recovery and costs $2000.

My question is - does the LR Catalog that all my images were stored in allow me to recover them from there - or do I pay the bucks to get my external hard drive recovered?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two kinds of hard drive users: those who've had a hard drive crash and other who've not had a hard drive crash yet. 

At first I'd try to get some file recovery software and try it yourself. It can't hurt and will be less expensive than $2000. I can't recommend any to you because I have a 2nd drive that I back up my first drive to and I also use a cloud service (never know when the house may burn down). Be aware that this is a very slow process so plan on days of your system cranking away and since the drive has crashed, there's no promise of success but I doubt it would make things worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you can get low-resolution JPEG previews from your catalog but not the high-resolution originals:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/extract-previews-for-lost-images-lightroom.html

To get the high-resolution originals, you'll need to use recovery software or a recovery service. Note that often, if the originals are able to be recovered, the files are recovered but not their file names or folder structure (e.g. you'll get "recovered_0001", "recovered_0002", etc.).  It's possible to match them up with the LR catalog, but that will require command-line expertise on your part of that of a friend or colleague.  But see if you can get back the originals first.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't you have backups? If so, restoration is simple. If not, then you have learned a very expensive lesson.

Your photos were not stored in the Lightroom Catalog.

You need to have the Catalog file and all the photos to do a complete restore, and these can be on different disks. If so, you lose whatever was on the external HD but not whatever was stored on the internal HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines