• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Release of Lightroom 7?

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gather from reading the posts of a few people, that Lightroom has evolved a lot since I purchased v.4.

So I know that if I buy a stand-alone edition, I'll get version 6.  But even version 6 is now a couple of years old this spring.

Do you have any idea when Adobe is releasing v.7?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

There has been no indication of when or if there will be a Lightroom 7. It would seem logical that if there is going to be such a release  it should be soon. But Adobe never makes such announcements in advance. And anyone who might know has been bound by nondisclosure agreements. So you'll just have to wait and see like everyone else. Not the answer you want, I know. But that's the way it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steveH867  wrote

There are rumors about a  upcoming release reportedly from a beta tester, but I would find any details suspect since any beta tester would normally be bound by a confidentiality agreement and revealing anything would probably be breaking that agreement.

There was also a tweet from Adobe Customer Care that suggests a major update is coming this year, but obviously any LR rumor needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

This is the deleted tweet where Adobe confirmed that Lightroom 7 will be announced this year | Photo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, some of the information given on the rumors page, would seem to be covered by a non-disclosure agreement; I did not mean to imply a new version is not coming; the fact ACR was updated and not Lightroom should be all the evidence needed.  But except for cataloging, I have moved on from Lightroom and the comment I got from their so-called support on a video card issue is one reason and past and coming improvements to other software is a second reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 in any configuration was aimed at the professional market. Very view hobbyists could afford putting in the cash. Lr6, however, embraces a lot of hobby photographers who have invested some cash into their cameras and will still invest about 100-200 bucks into a software advancing their photography a little bit more.

Adobe seems to be well aware of this, as it has offered Lr6 on a perpetual license basis and LrCC together with Photoshop on a subscription basis. The subscription model is a bargain, if anyone asks me, but I understand also people, when they want staying away from a subscription model. Lr6 is a good value for the money. So both get served, those who need the power of Photoshop to pimp up files and the ones who feel that Lr has enough power on it's own and that at prices that where not possible before with the perpetual license model.

LrCC has now some features more than Lr6, but to be honest, they are still basically on the same level, especially, because Lr6 still receives all the new camera updates and bug fixes.

As others pointed out, we are here to speculate, but do not know the current policy of Adobe. I even do not know if all of Adobe knows what will happen at the next release cycle of Lr.

I have learned, that you need to take your decisions the moment you need to take them. You have a camera, that is supported by your current software and you are happy with the performance of that software: keep it and wait.

You have a new camera and passing through ACR to generate DNG files annoys you: buy Lr6 or take the LrCC subscription. You can't be wrong.

To be honest, there is a world existing outside of Adobe. As I am personally persuaded, that Adobe gives me the best overall performance for my needs, I know, there are other products available. Be experimental and test if those products fulfil better your needs. Your welcome to give me insights of your findings.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will "simply" come down to a business decision... and working in a software-company myself I'm pretty sure this topic is discussed behind closed doors at Adobe regularly.

They want to push users to CC, that's obvious. But there is a reasonable group of potential customers (like myself) who would buy a standalone Lr-release, cause they don't want the subscription - or in my case don't use Ps, making the costs for Ps/Lr-bundle unattractive.

There is existing and upcoming competition in the market, offering standalone alternatives to Lr... so Adobe will calculate very carefully, how many potential customers they may loose to competition, when insisting on CC - or if it's worth releasing a standalone branch from the CC Lr every few years, to keep the standalone Lr only customers.

And this decision may even change over time... cause the Lr core development is ongoing - so a standalone-spinoff is a manageable effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I don't think they worry too much at Adobe HQ. Their user base has exploded exponentially since CC was introduced, and so has their profits. A lot of people go for this, like it or not.

BTW the main competition, Capture One, is also subscription-based. They do still offer perpetual licenses, but maybe not for long. I'm sure they've noticed Adobe's success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

humu2nuku2  wrote

I believe that there will not be a LR 7. They have changed to Creative Cloud, requiring a monthly subscription.

Then why, please tell me, would they release Lightroom 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

humu2nuku2   wrote

I believe that there will not be a LR 7. They have changed to Creative Cloud, requiring a monthly subscription.

Then why, please tell me, would they release Lightroom 6?

I know that now in my region (SEA) Lightroom 6 is no longer available so I guess either a new version is imminent or LR 6 was the last standalone. But I see it is still available on the US site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this link work for you? It works for me, and allows you to purchase LR 6.

Adobe Checkout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

Does this link work for you? It works for me, and allows you to purchase LR 6.

Adobe Checkout

No that link redirects to: Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not re-direct for me, perhaps you can try a different browser (I used Firefox)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is no big deal as the product doesn't appear on the SEA website so as soon as you click on it it redirects using the following URL: https://creative.adobe.com/join/redirect?countryCode=TH&items=%5B%7B%22offerId%22%3A%220A5E0F7A7E99...

I don't have FireFox but it happens in both Edge & Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And at a ridiculous price, If in future I can only do Cloud version , will be the end to Lightroom for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has one Word on their agenda, SUBSCRITIONS!!   I do believe that light room six standalone will be the last one so it's your choice whether to own the final software or pay the bastards $9.95 + tax monthly with Photoshop. Which will probably go up in price down the road

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I think you're all wasting a lot of time speculating about something that you don't know or nobody else knows ANYTHING about. IF Adobe goes to subscription only you will find out when everyone else does. IF Lightroom 7 is released you will find out when everyone else does. In the meantime, why not just enjoy (or at least continue using) what you have now? It's not going to affect what you have now. You can continue using what you have now and accomplish everything that you can accomplish now. When Adobe finally reveals what they are going to do in the future everyone can make a choice about what they want to do. In the meantime, it isn't going to cost anyone anything. So my suggestion is for everyone to just stop speculating. It isn't doing anyone any good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thing is, Jim, many people enjoy speculating.  The forums are full of speculation, much of it uninformed and some of it downright silly.  Few of us here know anything about Adobe's plans (and we all know that those that do know aren't going to join in any speculation) but that doesn't make it a waste of time to discuss what might be - for those that enjoy such discussion.  Perhaps "it isn't doing anyone any good", but it isn't doing anyone any harm either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except for Lightroom and consumer products. Not everyone buying LR is a pro and needs to evolve with the latest features and camera updates. But I for my part consider the CC Photographers subscription a bargain, as the fully fledged Photoshop is included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just to add a spanner. I'm retired, money gets less yearly but Adobe CC seems to think I can afford to pay a monthly fee. When will they put that up to something I can't afford.

What happens when you no longer renew your license annually, what do you lose.

I got rather annoyed with them when they added de-haze but only on CC and not on the full PC package..

I feel very much like I'm being blackmailed into paying a monthly fee. Just because I'm retired and living on a low pension does not mean I want to stop using the software I've used since version 1.

Anyone got similar thoughts on this? Or are we all driven by the corporate giants

Princy

Regards Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Creative Cloud subscription expires, you lose Develop, Map, and Edit In: Develop module, Map module, and Edit In stop working in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Printing+A5+Glossy  wrote

I got rather annoyed with them when they added de-haze but only on CC and not on the full PC package..

I feel very much like I'm being blackmailed into paying a monthly fee. Just because I'm retired and living on a low pension does not mean I want to stop using the software I've used since version 1.

Anyone got similar thoughts on this? Or are we all driven by the corporate giants

Princy

You purchased Lightroom 6. When Lightroom 6 was released along with Lightroom CC, dehaze was not part of either license. It was stipulated from the beginning that Lightroom 6 would receive no more feature updates. Lightroom 6 receives updates to support new cameras, and bug fixes, but that's it. When/if Lightroom 7 is released, the dehaze feature might be something that will be added as a new feature. But Lightroom 7 will be an upgrade that will have to be purchased. It will not be a free update. Lightroom CC users are paying for interim updates and upgrades as they come along. That's what the CC license entitles the user to receive. That's why the CC user has the dehaze feature, they paid for it. The Lightroom 6 user didn't. It's just that simple. If Lightroom 7 is made available and has the features that you want then you can make the decision whether or not you want to make the investment to get the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Printing+A5+Glossy  wrote

just to add a spanner. I'm retired, money gets less yearly but Adobe CC seems to think I can afford to pay a monthly fee. When will they put that up to something I can't afford.

Princy

Monthly fee: around 10 bucks/month is a bargain for Lr and Ps! My photography gear costs much more! Alone the insurance for my gear costs more. My phone subscription costs much more! Even my newspaper subscription costs much more. My TV subscription costs much more. My car costs much more! Even my yearly public transportation ticket costs more. I understand when you do not want to subscribe. But you need to put it in relation. Adobe is a for profit corporation and needs the money to pay their employees. You can argue the price, but not the principle.

When you no longer renew your license, you will no longer be able to use the software. You will not loose your work you've done so far.

Dehaze got implemented for the paying customers, not the ones on the perpetual license that paid for a product that was feature fixed at the moment of the release. You got bug fixes for free (Adobe in the meantime paid their employees for doing this), you got new camera updates for free (Adobe could ask a fee for new cameras, couldn't they?).

Adobe is a great successful company. Their business model has proved to be right. I even see advantages in the subscription model. Formerly, when I needed a license for a day or 10 or 2 months, I needed to by the package. Now I subscribe for the month or 2 and I do my work. It's economical!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have faith that there won't be a LR 7. They've altered to Creative Cloud, requiring a regular monthly subscription.

Then why, please let me know, are they going to release Lightroom 6? Adobe Lightroom 6.10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom development seems to have slowed down over the years.  I suspect that's not where Adobe is putting its development effort, and with many users (including me) now on CC, there's less motivation for them to develop it. 

Below is a list of past LR major releases.  It's now 28 months since LR6 - the longest ever gap.  In addition there have been no improvements in basic raw processing since "Process 2012" with LR4, more than 5 years ago. 

I'd like to think there's something wonderful waiting in the wings, but I'm not holding my breath.

VersionDateApprox interval from previous release (months)New featuresSignificant global improvements in raw processing?
129/01/2007
229/07/200818Localised edits, 64-bit, better organisational tools, multiple monitors, better printing, "camera" profiles, DNG profiles.Yes
308/06/201022Much improved noise reduction and sharpening, publish services, improved luma noise reduction, point curve, lens correction and perspective control, basic video editing.Yes
405/03/201221"Process 2012" with much better shadow/highlight control, book creation, location-based organisation, improved local editing, extended video support, soft-proofing.Yes
509/06/201315Gradient and ellipse tools, advanced healing/cloning brush, smart previews, auto perspective control.No
621/04/201522HDR and panorama merge, performance improvement, facial recognition, filter brush. Dot-releases include guided upgright, boundary warp on panoramas, dehaze.No
Now16/08/201728

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those on LrCC have recieved additional features, like the dehaze for example. That's what Adobe said: it's now evolution in snall steps instead of a big new release every 2 to 3 years. I'm sure, that currently there is a lot of background activity going on with Adobe. Why would you maintain a subscription if nothing would evolve?

And do not forget: in between, there was a major upgrade of Photoshop (from 2015 to 2017). It would be logical if Adobe teams would be striving to progress now those tools, that haven't got a major upgrade (ie all those who are still at the 2015 or even CC level).

As an additional thought: I would think, that it is much more complicated to advance an existing, more mature software, then a new one, where you have still plenty of missing features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been told they are working on a new version from support a couple of time. They can't say what / when but they told me when I asked "can you tell me when the new Lightroom releases?" "No, but they are almost done working on it".. Not a clue what to take out of this, but it's something ;D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines