• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Release of Lightroom 7?

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gather from reading the posts of a few people, that Lightroom has evolved a lot since I purchased v.4.

So I know that if I buy a stand-alone edition, I'll get version 6.  But even version 6 is now a couple of years old this spring.

Do you have any idea when Adobe is releasing v.7?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

There has been no indication of when or if there will be a Lightroom 7. It would seem logical that if there is going to be such a release  it should be soon. But Adobe never makes such announcements in advance. And anyone who might know has been bound by nondisclosure agreements. So you'll just have to wait and see like everyone else. Not the answer you want, I know. But that's the way it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been no indication of when or if there will be a Lightroom 7. It would seem logical that if there is going to be such a release  it should be soon. But Adobe never makes such announcements in advance. And anyone who might know has been bound by nondisclosure agreements. So you'll just have to wait and see like everyone else. Not the answer you want, I know. But that's the way it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that there will not be a LR 7. They have changed to Creative Cloud, requiring a monthly subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been no indication that there will not be a Lightroom 7. Adobe has not changed to the creative cloud. Both standalone Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC are currently receiving updates. It's true, however, that Lightroom CC receives feature updates that are not included in Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the fact that Adobe CS6 is not going to receive any more updates (i.e no CS7), is indicative that the same might happen to LR6. But I do seem to remember someone in the LR team saying that standalone versions of LR would go on indefinitely. Depends how you define indefinitely, and whether that person is still in the LR team!

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's difficult to predict what might happen with Lightroom in the future. Personally, I feel that Lightroom will be around for years to come. But it might take on a different role. I don't know how many have seen the videos that were released from the big Adobe convention. There is a new project that I believe is code named Nimbus. The idea behind it is that regardless of whether you are using a computer or tablet or phone they interface will be identical. And if I understood correctly, images would be stored in the cloud. So it would seem there changes are in the wind, but I don't know how those changes  will affect Lightroom. Here's a link to an introductory video  if you're interested.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/future-cloud-based-photo-editor-nimbus/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  schrieb

It's difficult to predict what might happen with Lightroom in the future. Personally, I feel that Lightroom will be around for years to come. But it might take on a different role. I don't know how many have seen the videos that were released from the big Adobe convention. There is a new project that I believe is code named Nimbus. The idea behind it is that regardless of whether you are using a computer or tablet or phone they interface will be identical. And if I understood correctly, images would be stored in the cloud. So it would seem there changes are in the wind, but I don't know how those changes  will affect Lightroom. Here's a link to an introductory video  if you're interested.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/future-cloud-based-photo-editor-nimbus/

to be honest who would be stupid enough to have all his images in the cloud?

maybe the facebook junkies and such. but no professional in his right mind would rely on a cloud service for editing.

no person (at least no professional person) with an IQ higher than a banana would put all his images in the cloud.

adobe joins the club of the data miners, like google FB and co.

but they sure wont get my data. this stuff has to stop. but most people are to ignorant to see the dangers.

but there are always alternatives. and currently some alternatives are way better that the outdated lightroom we have right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't get me wrong. I'm not promoting that idea. I just mentioned that that's where Adobe is looking. And I can see a lot of potential for images in the cloud. There are a lot of professionals who have voiced their opinion  on this forum that they need that kind of access. Maybe from your frame of mind and from your perspective cloud storage isn't a good idea. Fortunately, you don't have to make that choice. Lightroom was originally conceived as a program for professional photographers. But who are the ones who are grabbing onto it? The people who want to post images directly to Facebook, or their website. Some of the questions that are asked on the forum are definitely from people who are perceiving Lightroom as Picasa on steroids. They expect Lightroom to handle all of their cute little scrapbook projects. Apparently, Lightroom hasn't caught the group Adobe had expected to catch. If cloud storage doesn't work for you then you won't be interested in this new concept. I am just anticipating that the focus for Lightroom might change a bit in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  wrote

And I can see a lot of potential for images in the cloud.

Well, working speed isn't one of them...care to wait for a 36 or 50 megapixel file to load, let alone 100 of them? This "cloud" hype really has to stop. Internet bandwidth still shows no sign of getting even close to what it would need to be, for any working photographer to even consider the idea.

As for putting all your material up there, even thinking about it, that's just madness on every level.

Reality check, please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Tell that to the Adobe development team. All I did was provide a link to the video. You can draw your own conclusions about its usefulness or its merits. You seem to think that I am on a soapbox promoting this. I'm not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you're not, Jim. It wasn't directed at you, but it probably looked that way. Sorry about that.

I'm just getting this whole cloud thing up to here. It's so unrealistic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to agree with you. I subscribe to creative cloud, but I don't use Lightroom Mobile on any of my mobile devices. I occasionally share a collection for a brief period of time and provide links to Lightroom.adobe.com.  But for some reason, Adobe seems to think that's the wave of the future. I'm just wondering what impact that will have on Lightroom and if the emphasis will change. Just have to wait and see, I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I'm never, never, going to store all my images in the Cloud......   full stop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, as many other companies, should realize that the professional reputation sells millions of copies to amateurs. If the reputation goes south so does the revenue. Leaving the market space for an on-premises product will attract another player to fulfill this need. I am not a professional but I cannot see the attractiveness of shared cloud space. Disk cost is negligible and content creation is very resource intensive. Who would ever edit 60 meg images on a tablet or phone and move gigabytes of data daily between local storage and the cloud  as it was mentioned in prior posts.

And that is before all issues of privacy protection where it has been proven time and again that major cloud providers are not  covered by the same laws that prevent government from accessing the data on your home computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone bother to read the last line in that Nimbus introduction page?

Adobe said: "One final thought… if you’re a Lightroom user with limited internet access or a dislike of cloud services, don’t worry… this is just a preview of a tool for the future. Lightroom development is carrying on as normal.

Everyone here seems to be getting so annoyed about cloud storage.  If you are currently planning to subscribe or thinking about subscribing to the CC versions of Lightroom or Photoshop - you do not have to store your images in the cloud - they can remain on your own computer or hard drive.  It seems some of you are a bit confused about this.

To the poster that said they would not spend the monthly subscription fee for the LR/PS bundle, since he or she does not use PS and it is a waste of money, my annual subscription cost is $127.32 which includes tax.  The stand-alone version of LR is currently $149.00 (not including sales tax). If you normally upgrade annually on the stand-alone version, it is actually cheaper to subscribe, even if you only end up using the LR module and not the PS module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but BugsysDad, you wouldn't be buying the software new every year you'd be upgrading...which in the UK is £65 against the full price of £114 (I assume there's a similar reduction in the US and elsewhere).

On top of that it's not even updated every year any more.  LR 6 is already over two years old so the subscription has already cost more than three times what the upgrade would have cost.

At the moment I still use Photoshop CC but I really can't say that I think it's good value any more (not that much different to Photoshop CS6).  I'm finding it hard to see the reason for sticking with the CC plan once my current sub year ends (particularly if LR 7 does finally come along).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most certainly pros are using the cloud, but as far as I am concerned any Lightroom Update will need to be drastic.  In my opinion, Lightroom is great for cataloging photos and little else.  Video cards that work well with Photoshop will not work well in Lightroom.  When you contact support, the answer (I got) is purchase a different card.  Other products are now better than Lightroom, so personally I use Photoshop cc, camera raw, and appropriate plug-ins that have advanced beyond Lightroom.  (my opinion)

The above said; logically, given that camera raw was updated and Lightroom was not; any update will be soon.  There are rumors about a  upcoming release reportedly from a beta tester, but I would find any details suspect since any beta tester would normally be bound by a confidentiality agreement and revealing anything would probably be breaking that agreement.

A lot of people have remarked about the lack of a recent update, but there was a survey sent out a few months ago and a question or so on the survey addressed the desired frequency of updates, I suspect a lot of people opted for fewer but more major updates, based on how little (again my opinion) Lightroom has improved the past few months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steveH867  wrote

I suspect a lot of people opted for fewer but more major updates

Not those with new cameras...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the word suspect, but those with newer cameras have benefited from their camera being added to the minor update we continue to see.   My issue with Lightroom and Photoshop cc both is the quality of support and sometimes the attitude of support.  Yes the update is out and for me and how I use software, I found little to be excited about.  Lightroom has little added other software is not already doing as good or better and they have not addressed the fact that not all video cards that work well with Photoshop, will even work with Lightroom for performance enhancement.  I believe the coming version of On1 Photo raw has address every "needed" short coming it previously had and it will become my primary Raw software, with my use of Lightroom decreasing all the more.  As I have previously stated, this is simply my opinion, I know a lot of people will disagree publicly while some of them may agree privately.  In another post you made statements about the business model, it is hard to argue it is not currently working for them, but if they continue to focus on all the wrong things, they risk losing business long term.  The number of choices people have is growing, so there is a real need for changes, if Adobe wishes to keep Photographers; they will always be #1 for creative artist and designers, especially with so many improvements benefiting those groups. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Competition is rising and that is good for the customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Between the lines I am saying that competition is good for consumers; what is bad is when companies (software and retail), get so big and have resources, they can use to start start eliminating competition or try to become a one stop shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steveH867  wrote

big and have resources, they can use to start start eliminating competition or try to become a one stop shop.

I don't think this will happen, at least not in the non-cloud arena.  Luckily for photographers, in just a couple years the competition is matching and in many areas surpassing the features of Lightroom Classic and the needed photography tools in Photoshop and they seem to be putting more effort into their programs.  Hopefully this will push Adobe to continually improve Classic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, larger companies have bought out smaller ones; we have NIK, purchased by Google and Jasc was acquired by Corel.  NIK was abandoned and actually the current Paint Shop Pro is not bad; just not promoted all that well.  My personal feeling is, the current updates show where the priorities of Adobe is and it is not Lightroom Classic, seems to be cloud based and cross platform; nice if you trust cloud security (I do NOT).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ownership of Nik has passed from Google to DxO if my info is correct. So be prepared that Nik will continue to survive and be developed. At least parts of it will be incorporated into some DxO line of products. https://petapixel.com/2017/10/25/dxo-buys-nik-collection-google-will-resume-development/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Ownership of Nik has passed from Google to DxO if my info is correct"

Your info appears correct.  But it is a little late as I know many have abandoned NIK long ago because Google was not truly supporting it, that includes myself.  On1 and Luminar (soon) either already fill that gap or will soon. I am glad though, NIK may not completely go away.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines