• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove local copies synced from cloud in Classic (Mobile Downloads.lrdata)

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My typical workflow is to import directly in Lightroom CC on Windows. Lightroom CC automatically manage which files it keep locally.

However I also use Ligthroom CC Classic, for example if I want to make prints or a book. I have sync enabled in Ligthroom Classic so I see a collection Set "From Lightroom CC". However, I don't see how I can control which albums I want to sync locally to Classic. Right now when I start Classic it starts to download a local copy of all my Cloud data and it fills my hardrive in the folder Mobile Downloads.lrdata. If I try to disable sync on a Album/Collection it proposes to remove it from the cloud and keep only the local copy. That is the exact oppossite of what I want.

Is there a way to choose which albums we want to bring over in Classic and delete them when we are done with them (by always keeping the official version in the cloud).

In the end what I want is:

- use the cloud as my main central storage

- only have a local cache of pictures I am working on my different devices (Windows, iPad, iPhone, etc.)

- be able to bring some albums in Lightroom classic to do stuff that can't be done in CC right now. And keep edits in Classic in sync with the cloud

- delete the temp copy from my local computer in Classic when I am done with it

Thanks

Olivier

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

ogaumond  wrote

Is there a way to choose which albums we want to bring over in Classic and delete them when we are done with them (by always keeping the official version in the cloud).

Unfortunately not.

Selective syncing from Lr CC to the cloud isn't supported nor is selective syncing from the cloud to Lr Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ogaumond  wrote

Unfortunately not.

Selective syncing from Lr CC to the cloud isn't supported nor is selective syncing from the cloud to Lr Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the recommended workflow. There must be a way to avoid syncing the whole cloud catalog locally?

Anyway to at least remove the local copy of what is already synced without losing the cloud copy?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Lightroom Classic is synced to the Cloud then anything that is done in the mobile apps, iPad, iPhone etc will be synced. If you make a change from your Computer with a file that is synced it will change on all devices and if someone on one of the connected devices e.g iPhone makes an edit it will change on all connected devices.

Lightroom Classic only syncs files in Collections that have been selected for syncing. The same thing will happen if someone makes a change to one of these images on a mobile device, the image file in the collection will be changed, including deletes. The files on the Computer folders / Catalog will not be affected, just the synced collections.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic only syncs files in Collections that have been selected for syncing. The same thing will happen if someone makes a change to one of these images on a mobile device, the image file in the collection will be changed, including deletes.

If the Collection was created in the cloud (Ligthroom CC or mobile app), is there a way to unselect it for syncing? From what I seen everything is automatically synced to Classic, which doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ian already explained, selective sync is not supported. It's all or nothing.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good evening!

Actually I would have just a single question and I hope that someone could help me out of my misery:-(

I had the same trouble like ogaumond. I didn´t really think it through, what will happen, when I started syncing all my Lightroom (CC) folders within Lightroom Classic.

Suddenly this thousends of photos (which are actually perfectly stored in the cloud) started filling my internal drive on my macbook by creating an 400GB "mobile.downloads.lrdata"-file.

Took me now the whole day to actually understand the syncing process of Lightroom.

MY QUESTION IS:

Can I simply delete the synced photos in Lighroom Classic (by deleting the folders) and delete the mobile.downloads.lrdata file on my Mac (to get rid of the 400GB on my internal drive)??

Without risking to lose all my photos which are stored  in Lightroom (CC) up in the cloud????

I unchecked all the sync-boxes next to the Lightroom folders which are displayed in Lightroom Classic to be sure that after I delete the photos, there will be no "re-sync".

Thanx soooo much for your help!!

Cheers, Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. 

The total cloud is local stored, so i run out of space on my local hard drive.

If it is not possible to do a selective sync, is there a way to move the strage place? So i can move the sync folder to a external HD with more space.

I have changed the sync folder to the external HD so new pictures are saved ther, but i can't move the files that are already local sync / stored, so i can't make free space on my internal HD.

I tryed to move the files to the new sync folder, that's isn't working.

Maybe you have a sollution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see an error message when it "isn't working"?

After you have chosen another folder on the external HD for the Synced files in the preferences/Lightroom Sync, then it is usually an easy Drag&Drop of the files from the default folder (if I remember! is {Mobile Photos}) to the 'new' folder that you have set in the preferences..

This must be done in the Folder panel of LR-Classic. An entire Folder can be moved, or if moving selected files -remember you must click on an image with the mouse and not a grey border, to enable a file move.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines