Highlighted

Renaming and relocating images with duplicate names

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm organizing old files. 

I have pictures in two separate folders

Each folder has the same series of files names (e.g. 001.jpg, 002.jpg), however, the images are actually unique (two unique versions of 001.jpg). 

I would like to combine these duplicate images into one folder, but can't becuase the the two unique versions of each photo were taken on the same day.

I attempted to rename the pictures using Library > Rename photo 

It worked but caused an error on some photos. So now my naming to preserve the original sequence was off. Fortunately, "original filename" token worked to put back the original names. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 8.59.40 PM.png

I did some digging and this file was somehow locked in Finder, so I'm sure that was the cause of that particular error. But now I'm nervous about doing this going forward. These particular photos didn't have edits associated with them, so I was able to delete and re-import. But I feel like this could have required a cumbersome restore from backup if there had been edits. 

Questions: 

1. Is there an option to re-name the photos in Finder, which will be more stable, and relink the photos in Lightoom without losing Lightroom edits? 
  2. In general, how stable is Lightroom for re-locating and re-naming files in Finder? I heard one Lightroom expert say they preferred to move files in Finder/Explorer rather than Lightroom to ensure all files move properly. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Renaming and relocating images with duplicate names

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm organizing old files. 

I have pictures in two separate folders

Each folder has the same series of files names (e.g. 001.jpg, 002.jpg), however, the images are actually unique (two unique versions of 001.jpg). 

I would like to combine these duplicate images into one folder, but can't becuase the the two unique versions of each photo were taken on the same day.

I attempted to rename the pictures using Library > Rename photo 

It worked but caused an error on some photos. So now my naming to preserve the original sequence was off. Fortunately, "original filename" token worked to put back the original names. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 8.59.40 PM.png

I did some digging and this file was somehow locked in Finder, so I'm sure that was the cause of that particular error. But now I'm nervous about doing this going forward. These particular photos didn't have edits associated with them, so I was able to delete and re-import. But I feel like this could have required a cumbersome restore from backup if there had been edits. 

Questions: 

1. Is there an option to re-name the photos in Finder, which will be more stable, and relink the photos in Lightoom without losing Lightroom edits? 
  2. In general, how stable is Lightroom for re-locating and re-naming files in Finder? I heard one Lightroom expert say they preferred to move files in Finder/Explorer rather than Lightroom to ensure all files move properly. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can rename in Finder, BUT re-linking each photo to its new name (and location) would be an annoying task. It would be better to determine as to why the 'Rename' function is giving the error message and fix that. Are there 'missing' photos? Are the photos 'Write Protected'? Are you trying to use 'illegal' characters in the filenames (eg. forward slash)?
    Lightroom uses system functions to do renames, file moves, etc, so Lr is "stable". The suggestion to "move with Finder" may be useful for moving very large numbers of Folders or Files, when you can then select one (or a few) 'missing' parent Folders to relink in the Catalog. (I have never had a problem renaming or moving files within LrC.)
    Fix the Rename problem first!
Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you move entire folders (or an entire tree of folders) in your operating system, it is very very simple (one action in Lightroom Classic) to reconnect all the files in that folder (or in the entire tree of folders)

The same is not true of renaming the photos using your operating system. If you did rename the photos in your operating system, then you would have to then go ahead and reconnect all the photos one by one in Lightroom Classic.

So, in my opinion, you are trying to fix the problem the wrong way.

"I would like to combine these duplicate images into one folder, but can't becuase the the two unique versions of each photo were taken on the same day."

Folders are rarely the solution to any Lightroom Classic problem. If renaming the photos is desired, Lightroom Classic has built in custom renaming which may be sufficient (and avoids the problem of renaming in your operating system). Another solution, if you have two (or more) folders of photos from the same day, you can use the Filter Bar to find all photos taken on a given day, regardless of folder, regardless of possibly duplicate file names, and this does not require renaming or operating system actions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also access all the photos in the multiple folders from the same day by clicking on one of the folders in the Folder Panel and then ctrl-clicking on the other folders of that day. Again, no re-naming needed, no new folder needed, no operating system actions needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @dj_paige and @WobertC for confirming there isn't an efficient way to rename in Finder. 

The parent folder currently has 122 subfolders, so it's cumbersome to scroll through, which is why I was trying to combine or establish another layer of folders to be able to collapse when navigating. Based on your answers estabilishing a layer of folders my month may be the faster option to be able to collapse folders. I appreciate your help! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folders are a cumbersome and inefficient solution here. The Filter Bar makes your task easy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion is to rename images within Lightroom (Library Module > Library > Rename Photos (F2)).

You can either move the files via your finder and then have Lr Locate the images or move within Lr's Folder structure; I use both on a regular basis without issue.

warmly/j

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 1