• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Renaming Files problem with disappearing Metadata (LRC 3.3)

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a metadata preset to add the correct authorship and copyright data to metadata. That all works fine.

I also rename my files by adding words at the start of the filename for SEO before exporting them for use on my web site. However when I make that change the authorship and copyright data that I have added disappears. 

Is there any way of stopping this happening because I  just end up duplicating my work, which is frustrating.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can rename on export - see web image below. If you select a batch and choose Share >> Export (icon top right) you can select a custom name for the batch and Lightroom will automatically add a sequential number to the custom name e.g. 01, 02 etc.

Export-10.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yes I know that but that’s not what I want to do. I want to add words at the start of the filename in the catalog without losing and having to reset the metadata on each individual photo. I don’t need to batch process. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is easy to do in classic.  The renaming in Lightroom cloudy is only possible when exporting and those renaming options are pretty limited; as you see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Maybe I have phrased this wrongly. My problem is that when I change a file name, the metadata that I added to the image on import disappears from the file so I have to add it again (using the same metadata preset). I need to be able to change the file name without losing metadata.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said you need to add words to the filename.  You cant do that in cloudy.  You can make a custom name, add the date in front of the filename or leave it as is.  Cloudy doesnt let you append something other than date to the existing filename.

What file type are you exporting to?  Are you checking the box to keep metadata?

Curt_Wrigley_0-1592957385248.png

Are you using cloudy or classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt

Firstly, thank you for trying to help me.

I am using the latest version of Classic. My workflow is that I add metadata by a preset on import, to identify the author, contact details and copyright status. I also amend every filename on import by adding my business name before the original filename, using an import preset. That all works dandy.

I then sort and classify the imported images and edit the ones I want to. I place them in a "Edited" Collection. I then add at the start of each filename a word or two to describe the individual image (this helps with SEO/Google). The problem arises at this point in my workflow.

When I add the word/s at the beginning, the metadata preset disappears and the box says that there is no metadata preset in use. The authorship, contact and copyright details all disappear. I then have to reapply the metadata preset to the image. 

So what I'm looking for is why this happens and whether I can rename thie individual edited frames without having to also reapply the metadata preset.

Thanks again

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David I moved your post from Lr to LrC as examples given above are for the cloud based application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There appears to be some confusion in the thread over the two current versions of "Lightroom" see the screen captures for a clarification.

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 10.20.34 AM.pngScreenshot 2020-06-24 at 10.20.10 AM copy.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

When I follow through your EXACT description of your workflow and do not have that issue.  When I do the rename, either through a Rename Preset or using the Metadata Panel it does not change the Metadata Preset to None and the Author, Contact etc is still there.  Lr 9.3 Macos 10.15.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you to everybody who has commented.
I have found that if I follow my workflow exactly as stated and change the name of an individual image, then press return, the authorship and copyright metadata disappear. If I change the name, then click away from the title box, the authorship and copyright metadata stays in place. That seems very odd, but at least I have a work around. 

Thank you again for your help.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines