• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

repair corrupted files (dng)

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, among several thousand images that I have imported into LR (NEF => .dng) several single files are corrupted. LR cannot open them. The NEF files are ok, imported . dng-files are corrupted. File names and Metadata are ok, the development protocol is greyed.

How can I repair the corrupted files?

Is there any program to find single corrupted files among thousands of images?

Thanks!

Robert, Vienna

Windows 10 Prof, latest version, LR Classic latest vesion

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restore the photos from backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images I am referring to are from 2014, 2014 December was the last time these file were touched. I wonder if I can single out specific images out of the Backup. I still have backups created by LR 5.7.  But if I touch them LR 10.1 wants to import this catalogue....

The problem that files are corrupted can happen in any folder... I've got 68.000 images. :-(((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You suggested in 2017 to import the original a 2nd time.

LR says It might be a duplicate, which is already in the catalog.

If I

If I uncheck "no import of possible duplicate", LR asks 2nd import to a different location/ the same location? I do not want to confuse the catalog...

Thanks for your advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know who suggested importing the photo a second time, but that will not solve the problem. Importing does not solve this type of problem, and I am not suggesting that now.

Lightroom 5 does not make backups of your photos (except at import, is that what you did?)

Does it matter which photos are corrupted? You just replace entire folders with their backups, that ought to solve the problem (unless the contents of a folder have changed over the years).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't recall when it was added, but you can use the 'Validate DNG Files' (see Library module Library menu) to find any others that may be corrupt. When you find the files you'll likley need to convert the original NEF files to DNG, then subsitute them back into the folder containing the damaged DNGs. Remember, that the new DNGs must have the same file name ans the damaged files. If you copy/paste using OS tools the original metadata and edits stored in catalog can be saved back to the new DNGs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice! You are very patient... I am posting from Austria, so please write a less elaborate English....

'Validate DNG Files' - I'm using LR in German....  - "Searching missing photos" is the command that you have meant?  LR says:  "No missing photos - All photos in the catalog are available" -  But 2 images in the folder are missing...

Command "Check DNG" => 2 invalid DNG files => "Show in the library"  => 2 files are shown => What to do next?  Delete the photos from LR and new import? If I do this, name and metadata and development are kept and applied again?

Best regards

Robert, Vienna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I cannot speak for Ian Lyons, I think this is what he means

1. Find original RAW
  2. Convert it to DNG again (use the Adobe DNG Converter)
  3. Using your operating system, copy the new DNG to the folder where the corrupted DNG is, overwriting the corrupted DNG

At no time should you Import. At no time should you synchronize folders. NO IMPORTING. NO SYNCHRONIZING FOLDERS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of 9000 images from a 5 months trip 5 are corrupt (not coherent).

You have suggested to use "dng-converter" to convert the master images.  I think, the "dbg converter" does not allow to select single photos

In the "Library Module" I found in "Library" a button "Convert photos into .dng".  Maybe that works better for my purpose...  There the user can check "Embed RAW originals".  Does it make sense for me?

Have a nice afternoon!

Robert "Capybara", Vienna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the DNG Converter (if I remember properly, I haven't used it in years) allows you to drag a single image using your operating system onto the DNG Converter window and then that single photo is converted.

But what is the problem if you have to convert a whole folder? Let the computer do the work, do something else, come back later, and your DNGs are there. Throw out the ones you don't need, keep the ones you do need.

The "Convert Photos to DNG" in the Library Module works on RAWs that have been imported into the catalog, it does not work (and cannot work) on corrupted DNGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found another possible option: LR:   "Import a 2nd copy" to another destination

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing does not solve this problem.

You seem very resistant to the solution presented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sry, I am not very gifted technician....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, but all the solutions you have mentioned are not true solutions and won't solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know that the RAW files, the NEF files are not corrupt?

If you inspect them in camera, you are not seeing the RAW data, you are seeing an embedded JPEG.

If you inspect them in a file manager, you are looking at the embedded JPEG not the RAW data

If you look at them in the Import screen in LrC, you are seeing the embedded JPEG, You will not see a translation until after previews are created

If you look at them in Adobe Camera RAW, you are looking at the embedded JPEG, you will see an issue when you convert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the NEFs from the memory card to the PC, where they are still sitting, LR catalog  and DNGs on an external HDD..... Ok, and how can I come to terms with that problem? Just converting them into DNG, what I did? Mostly successfully, I hope...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of the corrupted files is the same as that of the neighboring files....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you get the image files restored from backup, make sure you do a deep scan of the hard drive for bad sectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines