Highlighted

Replace an edited image with a JPEG export of itself

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I process images in Lightroom I often apply external plugins on them. The workflow is as follows:

• Open Image as Smart Object in Photoshop
  • Apply plugins (e.g for sharpening or effects).
  • Do any cleanup that would require photoshop (e.g. object removal, etc).
  • Save
  • Do final touches in Lightroom.

Now when I do this, I will get a TIFF file back in Lightroom alongside the original raw image. These TIFF files get very very large (about 600MB each), and this is quickly filling up disk space. Usually I do not want to revisit my changes I did in Photoshop so saving 600MB per image is really not needed. However I want to keep the processed image in my Lightroom catalog so I can export/publish it later.

So I figured in order to save space, I can export my edited image to JPEG an reimport this into Lightroom for later publishing. Then I can delete the TIFF and just keep the RAW file (I always keep these).

While this works, it is a rather tedious process with a lot of clicks involved, so I wonder if there is some built-in way or a plugin that reduces the export to JPEG and subsequent reimport to a single click.

It would be even better if I could run photoshop plugins as part of the non-destructive workflow directly in Lightroom without having the need to create a 600MB TIFF in the first place, but I guess that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

So do you know any plugin or useful feature to reach my goal of minimal space consumption with less clicks?

Topics

How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Replace an edited image with a JPEG export of itself

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I process images in Lightroom I often apply external plugins on them. The workflow is as follows:

• Open Image as Smart Object in Photoshop
  • Apply plugins (e.g for sharpening or effects).
  • Do any cleanup that would require photoshop (e.g. object removal, etc).
  • Save
  • Do final touches in Lightroom.

Now when I do this, I will get a TIFF file back in Lightroom alongside the original raw image. These TIFF files get very very large (about 600MB each), and this is quickly filling up disk space. Usually I do not want to revisit my changes I did in Photoshop so saving 600MB per image is really not needed. However I want to keep the processed image in my Lightroom catalog so I can export/publish it later.

So I figured in order to save space, I can export my edited image to JPEG an reimport this into Lightroom for later publishing. Then I can delete the TIFF and just keep the RAW file (I always keep these).

While this works, it is a rather tedious process with a lot of clicks involved, so I wonder if there is some built-in way or a plugin that reduces the export to JPEG and subsequent reimport to a single click.

It would be even better if I could run photoshop plugins as part of the non-destructive workflow directly in Lightroom without having the need to create a 600MB TIFF in the first place, but I guess that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

So do you know any plugin or useful feature to reach my goal of minimal space consumption with less clicks?

Topics

How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"While this works, it is a rather tedious process with a lot of clicks involved, so I wonder if there is some built-in way or a plugin that reduces the export to JPEG and subsequent reimport to a single click."

No such method exists to replace a TIFF with a JPG.

You could export the TIFF as a JPG and automatically include it in the catalog in one action, by clicking the "Add to This Catalog" box when you export.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic, in the Preferences, in External Editing, at the top, for Photoshop, change the file type to JPEG.

and as a general support by the way, see:

https://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2730114&seqNum=2

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"While this works, it is a rather tedious process with a lot of clicks involved, so I wonder if there is some built-in way or a plugin that reduces the export to JPEG and subsequent reimport to a single click."

You can streamline this to a few clicks for an entire batch of TIFFs:

1. Define an Export preset with the options Export To: Same Folder As Original and Add To This Catalog.

2. Select the desired TIFFs and do an export with that preset. 

3. Wait for the export to finish.  The original TIFFs remain selected.

3. Hit the Delete key (Photo > Remove All Photos) to delete the TIFFs.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines