• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Request: wider white balance range for editing photos shot on infrared-converted cameras

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot astrophotography on a converted Nikon D800 with the hot mirror swapped for a clear filter, leading to a very specific issue concerning white balance with raw files. Adding infrared to the red channel shifts tint toward magenta and temperature much warmer. I can correct the magenta tint, but with Lightroom Classic's temperature slider stopping at 2000 K on the cool end, I wind up with this result (temp at 2000, tint at -106). I realize I can use an external editor to correct this, but since I often shoot astrolandscape time lapses it would be much easier to have the ability to correct the color built into Lightroom Classic. IBS_6587.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

See the later posts in this feature request:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroomcamera-raw-color-temperature-below-2000k/5f5f44fd4b561a3d422e1d5b?commentId=60050308ae94111a692a60e4 

They describe two methods for getting a white balance suitable for infrared photos: Use the free DNG Profile Editor to build a custom camera profile, or make a creative profile.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the later posts in this feature request:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroomcamera-raw-color-temperatur... 

They describe two methods for getting a white balance suitable for infrared photos: Use the free DNG Profile Editor to build a custom camera profile, or make a creative profile.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked well, thank you! 

For others who find this through search, there's a more recent walkthrough here that was quite helpful to tie the custom camera profile into Lightroom Classic: https://robertreiser.photography/proper-infrared-white-balance-in-lightroom/

I do still think expanding LrC's native white balance range without having to resort to a workaround would be very helpful for others in the future, as the popularity of converted cameras for astrophotography in particular seems to be growing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines