• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reset renaming sequence number by date

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a nature photographer and will often have thousands of images to rename. For example, I'll go out and get pictures of deer, squirrels and birds over several days. I like to use the naming convention [Animal]_YYDDMM_seq# . My only issue is that in order to do this I have to do my renaming by day - in other words, I look at a specific day, rename those images, then the next day, rename those, etc. The reason is that if I don't the sequence number continues between days, so instead of Bear_200101_1, 2, 3... and then Bear_200102_1, 2, 3... I get Bear_200101)_1,2,3... and then Bear_200102_4,5,6... . Does anyone have a way of making the seq# reset to 1 each time the date changes? That way I could just take all my pictures of one species from all dates and rename them at once, rather than this tedious day by day process. Hope that's clear and thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anyone talking about skipping numbers, or using different ordering, so I will throw in a few thoughts

Lucky Patcher Kodi nox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider adding the hour, minute, second to your name template, any sequence number for photos within the same second will receive a seq number,but just them

[Animal]_YYDDMM_HHMMSS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, not at a PC, not sure if seq# is different from sequence, see if different options exist, and in the case if sequence, does not an option exist as to starting number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use a similar naming strategy, sadly there's not a token (sequence#, image#, etc) that works this way but if you just set up the naming to be Animal-YYYYMMDD so there would be multiple files with the same name, lightroom will add -2, -3, -4, etc. So you'll get Animal-YYYYMMDD, Animal-YYYYMMDD-2, Animal-YYYYMMDD-3, etc. It would be much nicer if there was a specific numbering token that reset whenever the rest of the file name changed in any way, be that date or otherwise. Bit late but hope this helps.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines