Highlighted

Resizing from LR classic on export

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I resize with a batch preset H&W and it includes photos that were already sized accurately is there a loss of detail because it is a jpeg or is there no effect to the photos that was already correct?  I belong to a camera club and upload photos for competition at the NECCC.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

TOPICS
How to, Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Resizing from LR classic on export

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I resize with a batch preset H&W and it includes photos that were already sized accurately is there a loss of detail because it is a jpeg or is there no effect to the photos that was already correct?  I belong to a camera club and upload photos for competition at the NECCC.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

TOPICS
How to, Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time you 'Save' a JPG file there is some compression applied. (That's the 'nature' of JPG files.)

So there are many variables that might reduce detail or quality.

JPG COMPRESSION EXPLAINED by Jeffrey Friedl

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 1
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know what preset H&W does. Neverthteless, if you mean you cropped the image ("sized accurately"), the cropping is not affected by the JPG compression, you will get the cropped aspect ratio you selected. If you mean "resized" in the export, this also is not affected by the JPG compression, you will get the image size you want, the JPG compression doesn't affect the image size that you requested, although the JPG compression will produce some loss of image quality (not image size).

"I belong to a camera club and upload photos for competition at the NECCC."

We have no idea what the requirements of NECCC are. If you want the highest possible quality, export as TIFF and send them that (if that is allowed by the rules). If it must be a JPG, then EVERYONE submitting photos as JPGs will have a loss of quality.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 0