Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore Catalog-Picture-connection

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I stored all pictures from previous years on an external USB-HDD, that I regularly back-up to my NAS.

Now the USB-HDD is broken and I am wondering, if the connection between the LR-catalog, that is stored on the PC and the pictures, that had been stored on the broken HDD is lost.

My plan is to buy an new USB-HDD and copy the all the pictures from my NAS back to the new USB-HDD, so that the content from the new HDD is the same as from the broken one.

Does LR recognize the new HDD with the old fotos? Or what can I do to connect the LR-catalog with the pictures on the new HDD?

Hope, you can help.

Thanks in advance!
Dietmar 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to take care that the folder structure on the new is exact the same as the structue on the old one.

The next point depends on the operationg system that you use. On a Windows system make sure the the new external drive has the same drive letter as the old one. On an MAC system the external drive must have the same name as the old one. But here I'm not sure because I work with windows and deon't have experience with MacOS.

If you tqake care of this point you should have no problems with your catalog.  

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, I have an additional problem.

Before the USB-HHD crashed, I transferred the pictures of 2020 from the PC-HDD (D:) to the USB-HDD (H:) via Lightroom.
So now the lightroom-catalog expects the pictures on H: (USB-HDD), but as this is crashed now, I have to recover my picture-data from a backup of the PC-HDD.

But then, the pictures are on the PC (D:), but the Catalog expects them on H:.

Can I tell the catalog to find the pictures somewhere else?
Or do I have also to recover an older version of the catalog?

Hope, you can help again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a look here:

How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen

How to Recover Missing Photos in Lightroom Classic? - Stellar (stellarinfo.com)

On this sites you find all informations the you need to relink your restored pictures with your existing catalog.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest thing is to use Windows to change D: to H:, if that is a possibility given your hard disk arrangements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that won't help as I still need H: for the picture-archive.

To be more precise. After I restored the pictures from the backup, the situation will be as follows:

All pictures until 2019 are on the new USB-HDD, that will be the new H:.

All pictures from 2020 are on PC-HDD - D:.

But for the LR-catalog all pictures should be on H:

So can I somehow force the catalog to rebuild the connection for the 2020-pictures from H: to D:? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links given above ought to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just right click in the 2020 folder in the Library and choose Update Folder Location.. point it to the folder on C Drive. Now both drives will show in the Catalog.

If you want to move 2020 from C to H do so from Lightroom....

seriously none of this is difficult just work a step at a time to find your way.

best regards

Geoff the Kiwi in Africa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines