• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore edges plug-in says active but does not restore edges

Participant ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tonight I photographed a train from my DJI Mavic Pro 2 drone. When I looked at the images on my phone with the DJI app, it showed the full locomotive, very close to the edge but with enough space between the locomotive and the edge to look good. When I pulled the images into the import page in Lightroom, it looked just the same, but when the import completed the edges had been cut off. I did some research, learnd about the restore edges plug in for Lightroom, installed it,  it indicated "active" but the exact same thing happened. I really want the full edge as I see it on the import page prior to import.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two reasons why you may see less than the full area of image from the sensor. One is when the camera has been set to deliver a particular aspect ratio, cropping that down from the entire scene extent that is present in the Raw data. Normally that in-camera aspect ratio acts as a hard limit once the image is imported. This is what the DNG Recover Edges plugin is desiged to get around: it regains access to those sensor edge areas that would otherwise get excluded because of aspect ratio. You will need to change the LrC crop if you want to start showing those edge areas. 

The other reason is because a lens distortion / rectilinearity feature has transformed (warped) the picture content in order to 'straighten things up'. Let's say items near the sides of the photo are bulging away from rectilinearity - either for a concave or a convex effect. Obviously straightening that out cannot happen by sucking the most bulging-out parts inward, since to do so would require bringing extra parts of the scene into view - that have not been captured on the sensor. The only way this can work is by inflating the less-bulging areas of the photo outward - correctively, to even things up. This necessarily pushes some parts of the photo content, outside of your rectangular picture extent.

Disabling such lens correction may be possible. Otherwise LightroomC has a scaling parameter in the Transform panel which can reveal what is going on - though this will bring white areas (where there has been no capture) into view - the overall corrected photo's warped edges will become evident. It might be possible to crop away those white areas, or else for an editing program to "fill them in" with extrapolated content copied from the rest of the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thank you for this explanation, Richard. Would you please also give me a good clue as to how I might "change the LrC crop if you want to start showing those edge areas"? The only place I can find anything to do with changing the crop is under "Settings" in the Develop mode, where there is a "reset crop" and a couple of others, none of which do anything at all. I would not really expect them to, as I suspect this problem would need to be addressed before the import.

I can find absolutely nothing on resetting crop in Library or the import window.

Just in case LrC is a meaningful term I've done a search in Lightroom help and the net in general and come up with NOTHING! A search for Lightroom Crop does not yield any helpful results. If you know how to do what you suggest, please let me know so I can quit wasting all this time on a fruitless search.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines