• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore to original import image

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Lightroom for years.  Originally I bought the software and installed it to my computer. Now I pay monthly for Lightroom Classic. With the installed Lightroom I used to beable to restore an image to it's original import state if I wasn't happy with my edits.  I did that by going to the library module and clicking Original (or default) and voila. Now in my subscription edition of Lightroom Classic that doesn't work.  I get a warning message that a smartview (smaller file will be made) which is not what I want. Are there some prefernce settings I need to change? This was one of my favorite features about Lightroom and I'm very disappointed that it's not working now.

Fortunately, I'm old school and still save my Nikon NEF files to a disc so I can always get it that way, but that's defeating the purpose of having Lightroom to begin with. Please help

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

I personally have never done what you want, and what I have done myself, in the Library module.

I do that in the Develop Module by clicking the Reset button on the bottom right side panel.

But looking at the Library module Quick Develop section (Which I 99.99999% of the time have Turned Off, not showing) at the bottom is a smaller button that says "Reset All" and that does work for me on any images I had made adjustments to. It Wipes all edits out by clicking it.

In the Quick Develop area.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Clicking on Reset in the Develop Module should restore the image to its original state

If that doesn't work, please tell us the complete exact unedited word-for-word error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally have never done what you want, and what I have done myself, in the Library module.

I do that in the Develop Module by clicking the Reset button on the bottom right side panel.

But looking at the Library module Quick Develop section (Which I 99.99999% of the time have Turned Off, not showing) at the bottom is a smaller button that says "Reset All" and that does work for me on any images I had made adjustments to. It Wipes all edits out by clicking it.

In the Quick Develop area.

2020-07-11 10_06_22-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

In the Develop module.

2020-07-11 10_08_27-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.png

But If I may make a suggestion. Why not use the Virtual Copy option, feature, to Start Fresh and Leave whatever you had done to that image as a reference. You can create a Virtual Copy anytime and Reset that virtual copy to the original state, As Shot and imported. You can also make as many Virtual Copies as you like and do different edits to each of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using virtual copy too but old habits are hard to change and sometimes new isn't better not for my purpose anyway. I don't think that was the original intent of LR in the beginning. But a solution below works, just not on Virtual Copies. Thanks for your suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To old habits are hard to change/break. I just moved into a new space and everything is Reversed from my old space. Talk about confusing and hard to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I like that.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on Reset in the Develop Module should restore the image to its original state

If that doesn't work, please tell us the complete exact unedited word-for-word error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking the Reset button in the Develop module is the best choice, I think. However, that will not necessarily reset the image to a completely untouched image but rather will reset it to whatever your Lightroom defaults are. Those defaults are what are applied when the image was first imported into Lightroom, and if any adjustments were made as part of those defaults then those adjustments WILL be applied as part of the reset process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that by going to the library module and clicking Original (or default) and voila. Now in my subscription edition of Lightroom Classic that doesn't work. I get a warning message that a smartview (smaller file will be made) which is not what I want.

You have misunderstood the meaning and function of the box labelled “Original” under the histogram in both the Library and Develop modes. (Which is the only place where the word “original” appears.) It has nothing to do with reverting your editing back to the default (i.e., original) parametric values; rather it allows you to toggle between using as the target of that editing either the “original” NEF file or (if it exists) a Smart Preview – which is a reduced resolution DNG copy of the NEF. Some people have found a speed advantage to using the Smart Preview (I haven’t) and doing so doesn’t change the editing which is, after, nothing more than a parametric list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's where Restore was years ago in LR but it was called Original then. I used that for years.  It's been moved and my problem solved.  Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened LR 5.7.1 (which I still have installed on my main desktop system) and what you stated above about how you used that Original link in the histogram area does not Reset the image back to the original state. It will built a Smart Preview so that image can be edited without the original being present.

So I have no idea which version you were using but it wasn't LR 5 onward.

Glad you, we, got it sorted out for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines