Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resync LR Classic 10.11 OS X with LR CC

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm not sure how I can resync photos in creative cloud to my local lightroom classic folders and hope someone can give me a couple of pointers.

In "optimising" my LRC setup (changing file and catalog locations) I messed up the photo files that had been synced to LR CC.  I have around 22k photos that I imported directly to LRC from my cameras, and relatively recently decided to bring in 3k of iPhone photos using creative cloud and sync.  It's only the synced phone photos that went wrong, and the end result is that the catalog can't see any of the iPhone photos.  I asked LRC to highlight missing photos and the collection it created is these 3k photos, and when I look at the Lightroom Sync tab in preferences it shows the 3k photos as synced.  I tracked down about two thirds of the missing files in a single local folder, but I seem to have lost the rest.

They're all still in Creative Cloud, however, and I'm thinking it's probably safest to resync/reimport them all again.  I can't find any instructions on how to do that and would be grateful for any pointers.

On the positive side, these photos had no edits and all I'd done was reorganise them from the import location to my structure which adds event names to folders.  I've some experience of relinking photos, and the catalog updates to the new location which I think means I lose the work I did in reorganising themn.  If anyone has seen any utilities or has a smart idea for preserving the current catalog locations that'd be great, but if not I'll work through them all again.

Many thanks

Andrew

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Thanks for following up Tony, and yes, there are lots of the dreaded exclamation marks!  

When I was taking screenshots I thought I'd dig out some specific examples and I found it wasn't as simple as I thought.  It seems to be more of a coincidence that I have 3k missing photos and 3k synced photos, and whilst there's some overlap it's not the case that all missing photos are synced and vice versa.  So not as simple as just resyncing.  

That encouraged me to spend more time checking catalog back

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew

Can you post a screen shot of the following part of your issue thanks?

I asked LRC to highlight missing photos and the collection it created is these 3k photos, and when I look at the Lightroom Sync tab in preferences it shows the 3k photos as synced.  I tracked down about two thirds of the missing files in a single local folder, but I seem to have lost the rest.

You might need a couple of screen shots if you think that will further help.

Please use the "Insert Photos" icon in the reply post window for the attachment function.

BTW: any dreaded "Missing Image exclamation marks on thumbnails in Library View?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for following up Tony, and yes, there are lots of the dreaded exclamation marks!  

When I was taking screenshots I thought I'd dig out some specific examples and I found it wasn't as simple as I thought.  It seems to be more of a coincidence that I have 3k missing photos and 3k synced photos, and whilst there's some overlap it's not the case that all missing photos are synced and vice versa.  So not as simple as just resyncing.  

That encouraged me to spend more time checking catalog backups and it's leading me towards a possible solution.  

A recent backup showed zero synced photos when I opened it, and when I quit to check another backup it said it was (re)syncing 3k photos which is what I was trying to do.  I'm going to go back and work with that catalog - let it finish syncing and see what I've got.  I've moved photos onto a NAS which has lots of space, so I can afford to make copies of everything and experiment a bit.  I also recently changed my workflow to bring all camera photos in through creative cloud rather than directly importing into LRC and my edits on the camera photos are still there.  I'm hopeful that the combination of the older catalog and CC sync will get me everything back.  I'll then need to investigate the remaining missing photos, but that seems to be an older problem.

I might be back, but fingers crossed this'll help.

Thanks again

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines