• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

rollback lightroom classic v9.2.1 to lightroom v6.0 v6

New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to end my current Adobe subscription and use Lightroom v6.0 and understand that there is probably no way to roll back the catalog.

My question is: what would be the best way of converting my photos so that I can preserve the metadata and edits? Do I need to export them as TIF format and then re-import them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think twice before doing this.

First of all, since you're on a Mac, Lightroom 6 cannot be installed on Catalina.

If it is already installed on Catalina and working, future OS updates may cause it to stop working.

And if you have version 6.0, updates may be hard to find (the last update was 6.14), unless you bought the program from Adobe and registered it. Adobe now only provides downloads for the current version (LR Classic 9) and the previous version.

Also, note that any camera released since version 6.14 came out will not be supported, and you will need to use the DNG converter to be able to import the files.

You can save edits to the files by selecting all the files (use All photographs), and then go to Metadata > Save metadata to files.

This will create XMP files for proprietary raw files, any other files (jpg, tiff, DNG) will have the metadata written to the file headers. This will include all the edits, but some metadata, like collections and ratings (and others I can't remember) will not be saved. History states will not be saved, but all the sliders in Develop will have the settings from LR Classic.

Features that don't exist in LR 6 like Dehaze and Texture will not be visible.

Then import the images in LR 6, select all, and go to Metadata > Read metadata from files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also remember that Classic Lightroom will continue to work after you end the subscription. What will happen is that you won't be able to go into Develop or Map, or sync to Mobile, but everything else will work.

So what you might do is keep it running, and then start a new catalogue in Lr6 for any new pictures that you shoot. But do bear in mind the issues mentioned by Per.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then my catalog with keywords will still work? How about editing in other editors like NIK and PSE - will they still work? And if I use an other editor, will I be able to use the Print module?

If those modules still work on LR Classic, then I wont need to revert to using an earlier verson.

I have tried to contact Adobe directly on this but so far have not been successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to go through listing what will work - it's better to just remember that, as I said, the only things that you can't do is go into Develop or Map, or sync. Anything else works, including Quick Develop and applying presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I now know that I do not need to rollback to an earlier version of lightroom.
But this triggers another question: what happens to Photoshop. Will it have similar constraints or will it simply not work at all?
Ken Clunis

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When your subscription ends, Photoshop no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Kind of figured that would happen. Just have to use PSE for content aware tools when my subscription ends next month.
Ken

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to provide a lot more information so other users can provide a clear and focused response. As a start with a few questions, there have been significant changes between Lr v6 and v9. First off did you purchase a Licensed version of  Lightroom v6 or did you purchase a subscription?

Do you have an installation file for the latest version of v6 i.e. v 6.14, there are no available online download links. You will have to contact Adobe directly to get one and to activate the installation. You will have to have the registered license key.

Details of your operating system if you are running a Mac OS and have updated to Catalina then you would not be able to even install Lightroom v 6.

The answer about converting to tiff is certainly an option and that would preserve all the develop edits you have at present.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, I would like to thank Per Berntsen, John Beardsworth and Dennis deGannes for some excellent advice. I was not aware that Metadata coud be saved to files nor that Lightroom Classic would still function as a stand alone library.

Regarding the versions: Adobe periodicall changes the names of it's programs but is not consistant across all apps. Since I do have a current subscrption to Lightroom Classic and I also have a purchased app of 2015.14 which, BTW, Addobe calls Lightroom 6.0 in Creative Cloud Manager. And yes, it does work on 10.15.4 (Catalina).

I have been using resident Photoshop since v4 and Ligtroom since v1. When Adobe announced the Photography plan of $9.90 per month, I was thrilled to change over as it was certainly cheaper that buying new versions every couple of years.

Buit at this time I am no longer to get out in the field to photgraph and have no need for Camera Raw updates and quite happy with the editing capabilities of LR 6 and PSE and thus have no need to continue my subscription other than not wanting to lose a dozen years of editing.

BTW, after many years of being a devout LR user and supporter, I have started to look at alternative programs (apps if you will) and finding some interesting new ways of editing raw files that on the surface look promising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "Addobe calls Lightroom 6.0 in Creative Cloud Manager. And yes, it does work on 10.15.4 (Catalina)."

Yes if it is already installed it will work but do not uninstall as it will not re-install.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines