Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Run lightroom from external hard drive

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have not enough space in my computer for lightroom anymore. Can I move it to a hard drive and run it from the hard drive? I have tried to clean the computer but its simply not working.

What kind of hard drive do I need?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO.

Move other files to your external drive.

The program files for LrC only take up about 2+ Gigabytes of space on your drive.

The catalog file can grow to around 1 + GBs and the Previews folder can get quite big. But the files taking up most of the space on your drive are the actual Image files.

You can move both all your images files and the LrC Catalog file, along with the support files & folders for the catralog file (they are all in the same base folder as the catalog file), over to the external drive but you can not and Should NOT attempt to move the program files over to the external drive.

Your best bet is to get an external drive that is a SSD (Solid State Drive). They are the fastest drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have moved your question from the Download & Install forum to the Lightroom Classic forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines