• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Run two versions of LR at the same time

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. I've been using Lightroom 4 for many years now and am thinking about updating to Lightroom classic/desktop version (NOT the cloudbased version). I just want to know how easy it is to import my catalogues and presets from version 4 (which is old!) into classic. And if that's not possible, am I able to run both on my computer at the same time? That way I can still work on my old ones in 4 but start new ones in Classic. 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should happen nearly or totally Automatically. But it may not.

I have both Lr 5.7.1 and LrC 9.4 installed on my system and start the old version every now and then. No problems so far. BUT I do Not attempt to run Both at the same Time.

LrC will Upgrade you catalg but in doing that it make a COPY of you existing catalog and upgrades that copy. Leaving the original catalog as it was.

I suggest that after you do the catalog upgrade toy Move the new LrC 9.x catalog to some other folder, Rename it to something like LrC V9 cat and Set the LrC preferences, for V9, to Always use that newly moved and named catalog as it Default catalog to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that info! I'm glad it keeps the old version and doesn't just replace it. At least I can keep both on my computer. 

A lot to learn! Not sure I want to go to the new one but have heard that there are good improvements, esp compared to version 4! 😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have both Lr 5.7.1 and LrC 9.4 installed on my system and start the old version every now and then. No problems so far. BUT I do Not attempt to run Both at the same Time."

Ditto for me. No issues but I also do not run at the same time (and there's really no need). I just occasionally launch LR5 to update the catalog for new stuff done in the latest version, I am getting tired of this but for some reason, believe having a non subscription version and catalog accessible somehow makes some sense <g>.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That way I can still work on my old ones in 4 but start new ones in Classic. "

I consider this to be a poor strategy, and thus I recommend a better strategy. There's little benefit to maintaining and using a Lightroom 4 catalog and also a Lightroom Classic 9.4 catalog. You lose many benefits by having multiple catalogs, and you make your life more complicated, plus you have to remember which catalog contains which photos. So I recommend that you allow Lightroom Classic to upgrade your Lightroom 4 catalog, and use that for ALL of your photos, which will be much simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a licensing perspective, Lighhtroom 4 is a stand-alone licensed product, so if you purchased the license you can use it regardless of LRC. In fact, there would be nothing to stop you using Lightroom 4 on a PC, and installing the latest LRC on two other PCS as long as you run only one at a time of the two LRCs. I have an old version of the entire Adobe suite on a laptop which I sometimes use where I don't need latest features of the Adobe Cloud I have on a PC and a different high powered laptop. On the older laptop I don't use a catalogue, I just use it for 'basic' quick editing mainly in Photoshop. The older version is still very usable. I did run both versions on the same PC for a while some time ago, but it was a bit of a faff! I definitely agree with dj-paige's reply if running on the same PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quote ”On the older laptop I don't use a catalogue, I just use it for 'basic' quick editing mainly in Photoshop. The older version is still very usable. I did run both versions on the same PC for a while some time ago, but it was a bit of a faff! I definitely agree with dj-paige's reply if running on the same PC.”

I am not sure I am understanding exactly what you mean by this statement, Lightroom will not even launch without opening an available Catalog or creating a new one. Even if you only utilize the functions of the Library Module, Could you explain?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines