Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running Lr in a Windows 10 virtual machine

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can anyone advise on whether Lr Classic runs in a Windows 10 VMWare virtual machine?  My original plan for managing my new PC (32GB RAM, Ryzer 5 2600, 500GB SSD and 2TB hard drive, NVIDEA GeForce 1030) was to put Ubuntu 18.04.2 on the metal and then run all other OSes I use as VMWare virtual machines.  At present the PC runs Windows 10 Pro 1909.  I have experiece of doing this with other PCs but that was before I started using Adobe tools. 

I susepct running the tools in a Windows VM is definitely "not recommended" by Adobe but could I ask if anyone has tried it?  I have thought of spinning up a test Windows 10 VM to experiment but as that is a non-trivial amount of work in itself I wanted to gauge what the community throught first   On my present set up, Lr and Ps run fine though I can't get full graphics accleration to work with Lr. But full graphics acceleration does work with Ps!  Possibly one  consequence of moving to a VM would be losing all graphics accelerations?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

I can't speak to your exact proposed configuration. But for testing purposes, I've run for many years LR on Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on Mac OS. That configuration has always been sluggish. Moving Develop sliders is a little jerky, and importing photos from the host OS file system (via a network drive set up by Parallels) is slow, as is importing photos from a USB drive or card. Graphics acceleration is completely disabled by LR.

But I think you definitely test it.

[Use the reply button u

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak to your exact proposed configuration. But for testing purposes, I've run for many years LR on Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on Mac OS. That configuration has always been sluggish. Moving Develop sliders is a little jerky, and importing photos from the host OS file system (via a network drive set up by Parallels) is slow, as is importing photos from a USB drive or card. Graphics acceleration is completely disabled by LR.

But I think you definitely test it.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John.  That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.  Also the behaviour you describe is pretty much what I feared would be the result.  Perhaps sometime over the Christmas break I will test it on my own hardware but I shan't invest a huge amount of time in it.  Since buying the PC earlier this year, I have moved from Photoshop Elements to a Lr/Ps subscription which suits me far better.  Looks like running on native Windows is probably best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey mate, any news you'd like to share with us?? I am thinking of the same thing as you (running LrC on a VM). Is it too sluggish? any workarounds? any way to enable HW acceleration? Kidnly let us know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines