Highlighted

Safer filing in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard that a Collection Set based filing system in Lightroom is safer than a folder based system.

Is there any truth to this statement.It was said that folders only exist in the Library module but collections exist on allmodules, therefore safer.  Any comments?  Thank you in advance

Ila

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Safer filing in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard that a Collection Set based filing system in Lightroom is safer than a folder based system.

Is there any truth to this statement.It was said that folders only exist in the Library module but collections exist on allmodules, therefore safer.  Any comments?  Thank you in advance

Ila

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You heard wrong. Collections are virtual. You cannot use these as a file storing system, you use these as an organisation system. Files are always stored in folders on your hard drive (and these are shown in the folder panel in Lightroom), even if you use collections in Lightroom to organise your images. That means it isn't 'safer' to use collections, it's easier and you'll get a much better organisation. Using collections has nothing to do with safety.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say that I was a little taken aback by the assertion of safety. So I thought I would check with the experts.  Thank you for claifying.

Ila

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Above.

A Collection, all collections in LR, are just Lists of image File Names, Nothing more. Just like you sitting at your kitchen table and making a List on a piece of paper of the books and records/CDs you own. None of those books or records/CDs are physically in that list.

Folders are storage locations on your computer hard drive. Those Image files are actually, physically, on your drive and in folders.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes a lot to know all about LR. But little by little you learn more, especially from folks who know the truth.  Thank you

Ila

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have heard that a Collection Set based filing system in Lightroom is safer than a folder based system.

Is there any truth to this statement.It was said that folders only exist in the Library module but collections exist on allmodules, therefore safer."

Wherever you heard this, I would not listen to that source any more. This is incredibly wrong — so wrong that I would call it "dangerous". I would not even recommend "filing" (or in my words, organizing) using collections and collection sets. Photos have to be stored in actual operating system folders (which Lightroom mirrors), and in my opinion organizing is best done via keywords and other metadata, not collections. If the question really implies: put all photos into a single folder and then organize in Lightroom, DO NOT DO THIS. All photos in a single folder has a number of drawbacks; you can use simple default folders such as by capture date, this is safer and more efficient and is a Lightroom default that takes no effort on your part, and then other organizing is done via keywords and other metdata.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Straight to the point...thankyou

Ila

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Photos have to be stored in actual operating system folders (which Lightroom mirrors), and in my opinion organizing is best done via keywords and other metadata, not collections."

I would suggest it's not one or the other, it's both. Organise your images in collections, smart collections and collection sets, and use keywords and metadata to fine tune this even further when needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree. In my opinion, keywords and other metadata are not for "fine tuning", keywords and other metadata are the primary organizing tools.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's agree to disagree then, because what we prefer is irrelevant to the question of the OP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am torn about keywords, just hate to do more work. However, it seems that LR will work faster for me if I take the time to keyword correctly. I think I will stick with folders, re-organize and move from there.  Thank you everyone for your help.

Ila

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
Conrad C LATEST
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folders, collections, and keywords all exist for different reasons. Whether any are ”better” or ”worse” depend on what it is you’re specifically trying to do.

Folders can’t be avoided, because a Lightroom Classic folder simply references the same folder of photos and video files on your storage media. If you decide not to use folders in Lightroom Classic, then you have no images in Lightroom Classic.

Collections are like playlists in a music or video application; they let you take the same media stored in folders and organize them in unlimited alternate ways…without having to fill up your computer with many actual copies of the photo files. For example, you can use one photo in three books and two exhibitions (each represented by a separate collection), have two different edits of the same slide show (in two collections), etc. Collection sets are just groups of collections. A disadvantage of collections is that they only live inside the Lightroom Classic catalog; no other application can see them.

Keywords are useful in that the organizing info lives in each photo file, and are in a standard IPTC format that can be used outside Lightroom Classic. That is, other photo applications and some websites can show keywords in photos.

Each has unique advantages and disadvantages. Each has a useful purpose that can’t be filled by the others. It’s not a case of either/or, it’s both/and. I use them all, as needed.

So don’t listen to anyone that says one way is always better than the other two. That just means they don’t really understand Lightroom Classic yet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0