• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as in ps deselects photo in lightroom

Participant ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using ps since version 2.5 mostly new to lr classic 9.2 mac os 10.15.3.

I develop a raw photo in LR in the Develop module. I then control click and choose "edit in photoshop" in the dropdown.  After editing in Photoshop I do a "save as" to another unrelated folder psd format.  As it is saving from Photoshop, LR switches to "No photo selected".  So I've now lost my place in LR and have to search for the photo to continue.  Why is PS controlling LR this way?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not use 'Save as', because that makes Lightroom lose the link. Use 'Save'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using "save" puts the file back into the lightroom catalogue.  Im doing save as to save to a new location. 

can i unlink this behavior?  I cant see any advantage to having LR be controlled by PS for this particular workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think using "Save As" used to lose the link to Lightroom but this behavior changed at some version.   In macOS 10.14.6 and Lr9.2 I can use "Save As" to save to a completely different folder and use a new filename when doing an Edit In and the photo is returned to Lightroom the same as when using Save.  The only difference is the "-Edit" isn't appended to the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the photo is still returned to Lightroom and that is different than before, but the question was about Lightroom showing 'no photo selected' and that is because Lightroom has a link in memory that is broken if you use 'save as' and change the file name.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me.

I "Edit In Photoshop"

Make a Change

Do a Save As and change the filename and folder

Go back to Lightroom and the file I changed, renamed and changed folder in Photoshop is selected in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you in the Develop module when you try this? The OP is and perhaps that makes the difference. Perhaps it's because he has a folder selected, not a collection, and that folder is different from the folder he saved the new image to. Lightroom can't switch between folders while in the Develop module, only between collections.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BINGO Johan!  I tried it from a FOLDER and I got the "no photo selected".   Lr did reimport the Photoshop file and it was in the other folder but Lightroom still had the original folder selected.  This is apparently a side affect of the new behavior of Lightroom now allowing "Save As" importing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, what (apparently) happens is the following: When you send an image from Lightroom to Photoshop, Lightroom stores the path to the resulting image in its memory and wants to go there when the image returns. If you use 'Save as' then you change this path, and so Lightroom must make a switch. It can do this if it's in the Library module, but it cannot switch between folders if it's in the Develop module. So if it's in the Develop module it loses the path and as a result there is no image selected.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines