• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Lightroom Classic (10.1.1) to external drive keeps crashing my Mac (big sur)

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can save LR to my "pictures" folder where main catalogue is with no issues.  I have a duplicate on an external drive for safety where I also back up LR catalogue.  I never had an issue with this before latest update.  But now when I back up to the external drive, it crashes my computer each time.  The backup was still successful (I have checked that by opening a back up from that drive), but I don't want the computer to keep rebooting.  This does not happen when I save to backup folder in 'pictures'.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you create the backup on the external drive? Please state the exact steps, leaving nothing out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think my reply to you posted so will try again.  When I exit Lightroom at the end of the day I always choose to back up.  Most of the time I back up to the default folder location within "Pictures" on mac.  Every 3 or 4th time I choose to back up to an external drive (which I have been doing for years).  I have a folder called Lightroom Backups on that drive.  I select that drive hit OK and normally it saves the backup as it should.  Since the latest update, every time I backup to the external drive it crashes the computer. This never used to happen and it never happens when I back up to the default location on MAC hard drive.  If you have any suggestions please let me know.  Also, I know the back up works because I have opened the catalogue from the backup file and everything is as it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines