• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen doesn't remember layout between executions

Enthusiast ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is a Lightroom thing or an environment thing, but it's an annoying thing..

Windows 10 Pro, lots of everything.  Lightroom Classic 9.3.

I'm currently running on a laptop, so I'm not sure if this has been an ongoing problem or not.  But, dell 7740 laptop with 4K monitor driving an Dell 3818, 4K monitor.  Everybody set to 3840x1600. 

Every time I start Lightroom it comes up in a small window on the screen.  I move it to where I went, grab and drag out the sides and height 'til it's where I want it.  Do whatever.  Exit from Lightroom.

Restart and it's back to the small display in the middle of the monitor instead of what I had when I exited.

How do I get whatever needs to remember what Lightroom looked like to remember so it comes up correctly?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a canadate for resetting the preference file. Resetting the preference file is Adobe speak for deleating the preference file and then letting Lightroom Classic to recreate it.

The preference file can get corrupted, resulting in odd behavior. Some people have a knee jerk reaction in thinking they need to uninstall then reinstall Lightroom Classic, maybe that could be called for, but it would be better to first reset the preference file.

Be aware that resetting the preference file will result in Lightroom Classic creating a new catalog instead if opening your previously opened catalog (normally) so make sure you know where your catalog is. 

Be aware the resetting the preference file will revert some settings in Preferences to defaults. So be aware of what you have changed, so that you can put those back the way you want them.

some links:

https://lightroomers.com/replacing-the-lightroom-preference-file/745/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bARt-hoCc2Q

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/recover-catalog-images-resetting-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may as well try that - it's getting annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which screen is set as the Primary, # 1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says the 3818 monitor is #1, but it only shows 1.  It appears to know they're not both being used.

As far as preferences - tried the reset.  Didn't make any difference.  Does it with both catalogs.  Maybe it's some kind of strange artifact of having the laptop use a separate monitor?

As near as I can tell, nothing else cares - none of the other programs, even Photoshop, start this way, but Lightroom consistently opens like this.  I just have to grab a corner and drag it out and down every time I start Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are using a notebook with an External monitor connected but you are not using it as a Dual Monitor system, the notebook internal monitor is disabled, turned off?

Is that correct?

You say "Everytime I start LrC is comes up in a small window on the screen"  on which screen?

And then you say "Lightroom consistently opens like this.  I just have to grab a corner and drag it out and down every time I start Lightroom".

Have you tried using the middle window control button at the top right of Any Windows program to make the program go Full Screen and then Closed and reopened LrC????

I think your problem is a Windows problem and not Adobe and or LrC. Windows think that program is going to open on the small internal notebook screen as a Window, Not Full Screen, but actually opens on the bigger screen as a Window and retains the smaller size window as if it is openinig on the notebook screen.

Set it to Open Full Screen. Do something in the program, anything like switching modules, close and then reopen.

Does it open Full screen on the external monitor?

2020-06-27 08_13_41-Inbox - Gmail Edc45 - Mozilla Thunderbird.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd have to look again (if I could remember where I found it), but when I set up the laptop with the external monitor, there was a checkbox or setting somewhere that asked if I wanted to turn off the internal monitor.  I told it yes.  So, other than during boot, I'm not sure the laptop monitor comes on.

Anyhow, Windows only sees one monitor.

If I open LR then tell it go full screen, it does.  Then close it and restart, and it STAYS full-screen.  Except I don't use it that way.  I use it full height, but partial width.

BTW:  If I set it as desired, switch to full-screen, close, reopen (it's full screen) hit the middle button to go to a window it switches back to the same "correct-width but not full height" window I always get at startup.  I don't know if it's Lightroom or Windows 10 or the laptop or the GPU or what, but somebody isn't remembering the Lightroom layout and using it at startup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines