Highlighted

Searching Synonyms in Lightroom

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to finally clean up my keywords. I had over 2200 of them and as I'm a windows 10 OS user, I'm obviously challenged by the LR Adobe bug that only allows me to display 1600 rows of them in the keyword panel (this is a known bug for over 8 years that Adobe is unwilling to invest the hours needed to fix and only impacts Windows users, not Mac OS)...

That said, I have now invested hundreds of hours in building a keyword hierarchy of almost 4500+ words (including the synonyms) that I can use to tag my stock inventory.

MY QUESTION that I can not seem to find the answer for is this:
HOW DO I SEARCH THE SYNONYMS. 
The Adobe literature does not address searching them, only how to build them and export them with your images, and see them in the "Will Export" field. I've search several other site and have not found the answer. Perhaps someone here has the secret. Maybe a plug-in? or undocumented trick? I've tested all the various search prompts in the metadata and text areas and nothing seems to read the synonyms.  

SO WHY DO I NEED THIS... 

As I'm cleaning up my old flat structure, I want to search the new hierachy to see if I have the word as either a top-level keyword or synonym so I can map my exiting images to the new hierachy and delete the existing flat keyword from the old list.  But I can't search for the synonyms.. so I don't always know if I added it to the new hierarchy as a synonym or not; only the top-level keywords are searchable under either the "Filter Keywords" or Text->Any Searchable Field search areas.  

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Terri

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Searching Synonyms in Lightroom

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to finally clean up my keywords. I had over 2200 of them and as I'm a windows 10 OS user, I'm obviously challenged by the LR Adobe bug that only allows me to display 1600 rows of them in the keyword panel (this is a known bug for over 8 years that Adobe is unwilling to invest the hours needed to fix and only impacts Windows users, not Mac OS)...

That said, I have now invested hundreds of hours in building a keyword hierarchy of almost 4500+ words (including the synonyms) that I can use to tag my stock inventory.

MY QUESTION that I can not seem to find the answer for is this:
HOW DO I SEARCH THE SYNONYMS. 
The Adobe literature does not address searching them, only how to build them and export them with your images, and see them in the "Will Export" field. I've search several other site and have not found the answer. Perhaps someone here has the secret. Maybe a plug-in? or undocumented trick? I've tested all the various search prompts in the metadata and text areas and nothing seems to read the synonyms.  

SO WHY DO I NEED THIS... 

As I'm cleaning up my old flat structure, I want to search the new hierachy to see if I have the word as either a top-level keyword or synonym so I can map my exiting images to the new hierachy and delete the existing flat keyword from the old list.  But I can't search for the synonyms.. so I don't always know if I added it to the new hierarchy as a synonym or not; only the top-level keywords are searchable under either the "Filter Keywords" or Text->Any Searchable Field search areas.  

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Terri

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 22, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are already several replies to Terri's query on another forum:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/searching-synonyms-in-lightroom-classic.40110/

So rather than split the discussion between the two forums, please contribute to that other thread.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0