Second Copy Filename 'Imported on [date of import]' rather than the renamed file name

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 10 on Windows 10

1. When importing photos I save to: 

c:\\Users\dbgwa\OneDrive \Lightroom Photo Originals\[Folder Corresponding to Collection Selected]

2. I rename the photos to [custom text] [original filename]. The [custom text] is the name of the collection to which the photo is added.

3. I make a second copy to a Seagate USB external drive.

Issue: The second copy filename is 'Imported on [date of import]' (e.g., Imported on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2020). I need the filename to be [custom text] [original filename], if possible.

Overall goal: To save the photos to OneDrive and backup to the Segate USB external drive on importing photos into Lightroom.

Thanks.

Debbie

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Mentor , Nov 11, 2020
richardplondon Mentor , Nov 11, 2020
As far as I know there is no ability to customise / rename the second copy that is optionally made during import. This is an unmodified version of the source image file, which has undergone no Lightroom actions at all - this is part of the point of invoking it at this stage. If you want to keep a second copy of the data which does reflect Lightroom renaming, then normal incremental / versioned / multiply redundant file backup of your main files storage is a good idea (in addition to Catalog back...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Mentor ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know there is no ability to customise / rename the second copy that is optionally made during import. This is an unmodified version of the source image file, which has undergone no Lightroom actions at all - this is part of the point of invoking it at this stage.

If you want to keep a second copy of the data which does reflect Lightroom renaming, then normal incremental / versioned / multiply redundant file backup of your main files storage is a good idea (in addition to Catalog backup). Otherwise syncing this main storage to another location, recommending that this process should not sync any deletions (so that it is allowed to add or update, but not to remove).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As above the "Make a Second Copy to" option is simply that. to make a backup copy of the files you import from a cameras memory card or some other storage medium that you are Copying or Moving images from tom some other location on the hard drives connected to your computer.

No edits or renaming is done to the second copy. That is by Design. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines