• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Second Monitor - Display Issues

Participant ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cull thru about 600 photos a day and use a PC (Windows 10) with an LG monitor (primary display) and a AOC monitor connected via USB (second display).

The cull process starts out fine, but when I get about 25% thru I bump into page refresh issues, and the active screen alternates between the 2nd display and other windows I have open on my primary display. Restarting Lightroom Classic resolves the issue for a bit, but then the screen refresh issue starts up again.

This just started happening over the past couple of weeks. It does not happen with any other program I use on my PC. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the cause of this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is one monitor connected via USB? Is it some sort if auxiliary monitor with just a USB port?

Hmm, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, no USB so, one monitor of PC USB port, one monitor off GPU, Lightroom has issues with differing video controllers, it like to be run off one, or if two, then the exact same second GPU.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

Hmm, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, only one Display Port? One HDMI, and One DVI? yep, that is a problem for multiple monitors, Lightroom also has issues with multiple port types off any particular card.

So fellow members, any advice for our fellow member on a fix? 

Followup/Correction/  I see from pictures, that the GPU might have two Display Ports. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular monitor only uses a USB connector. I'm not able to find a decent monitor under 16" that doesn't use a USB connector at a resonable price. I only use the second monitor to view images at a larger size. For color correction I rely on my primary display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followup

Others are probably using USB devices as second monitors. Wacom units with graphics comes to mind.

So, yes, this should work better.

Assuming the AOC monitor is a USB monitor. Are you using it as the monitor with your editing sliders, etc, and your LG for the loupe of the photo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, just using it to view single images at a larger size. I use my primary monitor to make edits, color correct, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Info as Lightroom Classic reports it.  In Lightroom, /Help/System Info/Copy/. Paste into a reply, include all info from first line down to and including plugin info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did take your guidance that "Lightroom also has issues with multiple port types off any particular card". I have connected another monitor that will use another connector type (DVI) with my current graphics card. I see if this resolves the issue. If not, then I guess I'll need to try to find a graphics card with a USB connector, in addition to the HDMI that I use for my primary display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update... I am now using a different 2nd monitor, but this one is going into sleep mode after a few minutes. I've diabled all sleep settings in power options so this shouldn't be happening. I may have a larger issue in terms of my computer and/or graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On that monitor, what type of connection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one was a DVI-D out to HDMI in (on card). I've now replaced that monitor with a 3rd one with a HDMI out to HDMI in. The latest one seems to have resolved the sleep issue and is much more stable overall. I'll see how this one works over the next few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate your help very much! Especially that fstoppers link... never knew about that... I'm now looking at the full dynamic range of RGB values. What a difference. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines