Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selling Presets Online / Need Clarification

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all !

Over the years I have accumulated a preset library made up of purchased presets (from popular instagrammers) and I also have many personally-developed presets that I have created. I am looking to open up an online business to sell my presets.

Over time, I have developed my own style and look, and SOME of the styles have stemmed from a purchased preset that I have bought, and I tweaked almost all the settings and the end result is something completely unique and different as I have tweaked and refined it to my type of work and visually you would not be able to relate it back to the purchased preset. 

So for example:

I use purchased preset X

I apply it to my photo, change the shadows highlights exposure temperature.etc

change up the tone curve to suit my image better

change the hues and saturation to make different colours pop

________

i choose to SELL this NEW version. Can i do this? and put my brand to that preset?

HOWEVER, If there are some similarities such as the TONE curves and camera calibration values are the same, is that a breach in copyright? or me stealing someones style? can you get in trouble with this? can you get sued? is this something people even notice. 

The presets I originally bought were to help me understand how my favourite IG users work their images. and I created and developed my own style from this and dont want to cause any legal issues or copyright issues. 

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are not lawyers here. If you want legal/copyright advice contact an appropriate attorney.

Sorry, but if you need technical help, this is a good place to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines