• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Serious keyword issues. Lightroom classic release 9.2

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a serious problem with keywords. I am backing Lightroom up almost anytime the system suggest me to. I have discovered the alteration of many keywords.

I have keywords with names of a certain person, like "John Smith". Recently, and I don´t know when it happened, Lightroom has altered "John Smith" to two keywords "John" and "Smith". I cannot recreate "John Smith", and I certainly have many "John"s now piled in one keyword. And these keywords, along with many others have been added randomly to other pictures.

And I fear, that restoring an old backup will delete my resent work. I try not to panic.

What can I do? I have +25.000 photos with keywords and hope there is a solution to my problem.

I am using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic. 9.2.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Make sure that Preferences > Interface > Separate Keywords Using is set to Commas, not Spaces. If it got set to Spaces somehow, that would account for your symptoms.

If it's set to Commas and the behavior continutes, try resetting LR's preferences: 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have keywords with names of a certain person, like "John Smith". Recently, and I don´t know when it happened, Lightroom has altered "John Smith" to two keywords "John" and "Smith". I cannot recreate "John Smith", and I certainly have many "John"s now piled in one keyword. And these keywords, along with many others have been added randomly to other pictures."

LR doesn't do this kind of thing on its own, so let's see a few screenshots. Have you been using any other apps with these photos? Assume not. How do you normally add keywords, typing, metadata templates, the Keywording panel grid with suggestions, face recognition?

For now, keep on working with this catalogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John.

I do not use other apps with these photos. I create keywords, and keywords within keywords. 

I  create "root" keyword using the + in the keyword list. And then I create a keyword wihtin the keyword.

res of my son. Anders is a very popular name, and I have many friends, with the root keyword "Venner" with that name. Like "Anders Bache"

I do not use metadata templates nor do I use face recognition.

... I have just spend a hour creating a reply with screenshot you asked for, and when I posted it, most of my reply and all the screenshots were deleted. With the message: "Correct the highlighted errors and try again. There are no hightlighted errors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please John, send me a mail I can respond to. I do not want to do it all over again for nothing on this webstite. I am disappointed with the errors inflicted by LR, and I on top of that, I do not want to spend time fighting the website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John Beardsworth.

Any chance you will take back your statement: "LR doesn't do this kind of thing on its own."

Jens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that Preferences > Interface > Separate Keywords Using is set to Commas, not Spaces. If it got set to Spaces somehow, that would account for your symptoms.

If it's set to Commas and the behavior continutes, try resetting LR's preferences: 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick.

Thank you John, though I wonder what caused the problem in the first place. Is there a flaw in Lightroom, and will it be solved?

Best regards

Jens Wolf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I wonder what caused the problem in the first place."

LR is notorious for soiling its preferences file, causing all sorts of wonky behavior.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines