• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting a default source folder for import

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic version 9.1. When I import photos that I have already saved to my harddrive, it always starts at McIntosh Harddrive, and I have to navigate through Users, my name, Pictures, and my folder structures. Can't it somehow be set to default to the current working folder (for me it would be 2020) without having to start back at the beginning of the harddrive with every import? With prior versions it would default to the last folder I imported from and I could change the selection from there. I can't find how to change this, so would appreciate help. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatley, there is no way to change the current behaviour, and it's unclear why it has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that's so sad to hear! At least I can stop spending time trying to figure out how to change it... thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the top lef of the import window, clic on "Select a source". On the list that appears you can select the most recent source used. Not exactly what you want, bu faster than browsing thru all the folder levels !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yopu might want to create an Import Preset that at least points to the Top most folder, the Pictures folder, and then every time you import all you have to do is select that preset and then Browse to the correct folder from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Yopu might want to create an Import Preset

Unfortunatley, import presets have history of working for a short period of time, then stop. The reason has never been fully established and previous fixes have been short lived. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Presets are Hard Links to text files that set the options you selected when creating it. The text in presets never changes unless the user changes it. If the preset is no longer selected, if the options you have set in that preset are not the default, all you have to do is Select it again in the preset section of the import dialog window.

They don't stop working. They may not be the Default anymore and need to be Re-Selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>They may not be the Default anymore and need to be Re-Selected.

Above is a known issue that's been fixed then broken, then fixed, broken, fixed...

Also, as you've noted below - source path is not included in the Import Preset, and hasn't been for a very long time (if ever).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I just did a test of an import preset where I Set the Source to a folder named Pictures2020 on my E:\ drive, fulle path E:\Pictures 2020, and when looking at the preset I created, Source Test Preset, in a Text Editor that path does not show.

s = {
id = "461D31F3-B9CF-4D30-A74B-F52237F43853",
internalName = "Source Test Preset",
title = "Source Test Preset",
type = "Import",
value = {
Import_add_photos_to_collection = false,
autoSegmentMethod = "autoSegment_Date",
backupDownloadFolder = "D:\\My Pictures\\Lightroom\\Download Backups",
crSettingsID = "<none>",
doCopyToBackupFolder = false,
extensionCase = "unchanged",
generateDNGProxies = false,
generateDNGProxiesLater = false,
ignoreSuspectedDuplicates = true,
importBehavior = "refInPlace",
importServiceProvider = "com.adobe.ag.import.file",
importServiceProviderTitle = "Files on Disk",
initialSequenceNumber = 1,
keywords = "",
metadataPresetID = "<none>",
previewBuildQuality = "prev",
previewJPEGQuality = 0.75,
renamingTokensOn = false,
selected_collection = 551841,
shootNameFormat = "%m%d",
standardPreviewSize = 1440,
suppressImportDialog = true,
tokenCustomString = "",
tokenShootName = "",
tokens = "{{custom_token}}",
},
version = 0,
}

So it seems the preset system is not able to include a Source path.

So It seems your only option is to use the Drop Down menu list at the top left of the Source section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import presets have never included the source path.

The best way to a rapid access is to clic on "Select a source" on top left of the import window and then select the most recent source in the list that appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah that's what I said above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines