Highlighted

Sharing a DNG file with its develop settings

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm trying unsuccessfully to export and share a dng file that has develop settings and presets applied so that these settings are visible and editable in another instance of LR.

Currently, if I export it then share the file with another Lightroom user, the develop settings don't show, i.e it appears like the default raw file. I've tried 'File>Export with presets' and 'Save Metadata to file'.

Is there a way to share a dng file with its develop settings so that another LR user can import the file into their catalog with the pre-applied develop settings visible and continue to further develop the file ? or am I trying to achieve something which isn't possible?  Many thanks

Lrc 2020_Win 10 Pro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Sharing a DNG file with its develop settings

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm trying unsuccessfully to export and share a dng file that has develop settings and presets applied so that these settings are visible and editable in another instance of LR.

Currently, if I export it then share the file with another Lightroom user, the develop settings don't show, i.e it appears like the default raw file. I've tried 'File>Export with presets' and 'Save Metadata to file'.

Is there a way to share a dng file with its develop settings so that another LR user can import the file into their catalog with the pre-applied develop settings visible and continue to further develop the file ? or am I trying to achieve something which isn't possible?  Many thanks

Lrc 2020_Win 10 Pro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Lightroom Classic forum from Community Help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 0
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You simply need to use Export as DNG. There is no need to use 'Save Metadata to File' first, but there is no harm in that either. If the original is a DNG too, then you can also use 'Export Original'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 0
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the Save Metadata to file BEFORE you export then all your edits should be written into the DNG file where another user of LrC, LR (Cloud storage version) or ACR, Should be able to See all your edits.

If you like upload one of these type files to dropbox or the like and post a Public link to it so we can download it and open it on our systems.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 0
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify: 'Export as Original' creates a copy of the original that includes the metadata. You do not have to use 'Save Metadata to File' first for that. You only need to use that if you would send the original file itself.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 0
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just some general info, there are some things that are not written to the file but are stored only in the Catalog file. See the info available in the link below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/metadata-basics-actions.html  

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 9.31.35 AM.png

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 10, Lr 4, Ps 22.0,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 0