Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing Lightroom on 2 computers with different users

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My brother and I are looking at getting Lightroom to share.

I use editing software a lot more than him so it would be mostly in use on my computer. But it doesn't make sense for him to buy a license himself for sporadic use.

If I buy the photographers license. Can I install lightroom and photoshop on his computer and share my license with him?

I noticed the restriction of only being used on one computer at a time, but is it possible for example to have him use it in an offline mode? Neither of us are interested in the cloud usage or anything. All photos will be uploaded and stored on our own computers and we just need to edit and export.

Obviously the chances of us both being in lightroom at the same time are slim but I was wondering if there was a way to make this work?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This violates the license terms for Lightroom Classic, in which you are allowed to use Lightroom Classic for your own personal use only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As DJ says, your plan as stated will violate the agreement, so don't do that.

In addition, if you were thinking of viewing the same photos, the way that Classic works would make this unfeasible because images are controlled by LRC's catalog and there's no way for a Catalog to be on two computers at once (let alone all of the images).

However, if your claim is that you'll be more of the operator and your brother will be the viewer, there is another way to do this:

In LRC there are Collections, these are used for many purposes such as selected highlights from a vacation, wedding, or some other special event. There are MANY other uses, reasons, and purposes for them. Collections can also be synced with the Clouds and LR-Browser can link with these Collections For example, you go on holiday, take 3000 photos and back home select (say) 200 to put into a Catalog. These images will be synced up to https://lightroom.adobe.com

When YOU go to that site, you will see ALL of your catalogs. However, you can send any one or all of the links to these Collections and send them to any and everyone for them to view. All it takes is a browser and that means that your brother can view all of the images any time he wants as well as your other family members and any of your friends. The ability to alter and/or adjust the images will not be there for them but as you say, your brother would not likely be doing that anyway.

This is probably the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the suggestion, @Gary_SC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but yeah we would be having separate photos. I'd maybe be sharing the odd photo with him as he wants to go into business selling my photos for me.

So it seems plans are only for individuals or larger businesses?

I know Adobe want to get as much money as possible but everyone shares products these days, I know its different but take Netflix for example. it would be good to have the option to at least share a license with 1 other person. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear ya but I do not work for Adobe (as neither does DJ) I just try to help folks on these forums when I can.

Just to let you know, you can have MANY collections (I do not even know if there's a limit) and your brother can share the Collections with other so that way, he can still run your photo busines the same way. The Collections, once set up to share, can be shared with anyone else.

Here are some photos I took in Ottowa Canada. If you double-click on the 1st photo, you'll see it full window and can click through. Please note that on the bottom left you can "Like" a photo as well as leave a comment. Take a look and then send this link off to your brother.

https://adobe.ly/3i0WDEX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It would be good to have the option to at least share a license with 1 other person."

But that's not the way it is.

There are plenty of solutions, there are plenty of other (less expensive or free) software, and when you do need to share a photo with him, you can share the photo via the cloud, or via e-mail, or via the web. He doesn't have to have Lightroom Classic for you to share an occasional photo with him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He takes photos as well and is wanting lightroom for editing too, it wasn't just for sharing photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then he needs to pay for Lightroom Classic, just like everyone else who uses it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I said in my original post I was only enquiring if it was possible to share or add another user to a license since he doesn't take a lot of photos and the £10pm might not be worth the cost. 

I know the subscription fee thing is still controversial, we've all bought things and shared it. Computer games for example that still get updates for months and years after purchase. I don't see why there is the attitude of "well he can pay for it like everyone else". 

He isn't refusing to pay, it was just to see if there was a way of sharing it. We're all looking to save a bit of cash aren't we?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but I said in my original post I was only enquiring if it was possible to share"

and I said in my first post that this isn't allowed. But you keep on pressing the issue.

"We're all looking to save a bit of cash aren't we?"

You don't get to speak for me or others. I am always looking to save a bit of cash LEGALLY.

I don't see why there is the attitude of "well he can pay for it like everyone else".

Because I pay and thousands (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands?) of other people pay full price and I don' see why you and your brother should be able to get the same software for essentially half price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So because you said in your first post, I'm not allowed to speak further on it? 

Your attitude toward me is very negative and argumentative. 

I think someone needs to calm down, it's not like we are stealing from you or Adobe, just asking questions and having a discussion.

For all I know, a Adobe rep could have come in and suggested something or informed me of plans for adding other users to a license.

Thanks to the others who were more understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What audacity to sign into a public forum sponsored by a company which allow users of their product to communicate on the use of the product and request assistance from other users to be complicit in your attempt to contravene the product license.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice if Adobe had a family plan or a small business plan but unfortunately they don't. The business plan is not much of a deal. So only solution is to get two licenses.

In my situation, I have Lightroom Classic (and photoshop and such) installed on two computers that are only used by me. The creative cloud license allows a single account to be logged on on two computers at the same time. The language in the license agreement requires that they are only used by the same person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Jao, maybe CraigyFrazzle should be encouraged to post a New Feature request in the Feedback forum.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok on further thought it may be difficult for the Full Photography Plan which includes Photoshop but, it should be feasible for the Lr (cloud-based) and Lr Mobile Plan. e.g (family plan 5 users).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines