• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sick and tired of LRC randomly removing facial recognition name tags

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I give up; does anyone have another product related to photo catalog management they recommend? I've used LRC for years and it would be perfect except for the keyword-related bugs that have driven me to the point of complete exasperation. Over and over and over again I use the facial recognition tool to identify people, only to run across the same photos again where the tags have disappeared. The only positive thing I can say is that having to re-identify people countless times has driven their names home in my memory. I rely on the name tags to  perform tagged photo retrieval, which I cannot trust whatsoever to produce the correct set of photos.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scren shots of what you are seeing on your computer screen will help in getting to the botttom of your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry it took so long to get back. In my settings, I have the "notify me by email" selected so that I'd know if anyone replied, but my primary email address is no longer valid, Adobe won't let me change it, and the reply was not sent to my second alternate email address.

I spent hours last weekend working on the family photo treasures, including going through hundreds of photos for the umpteenth time fixing facial recognition tags. I also read two or three posts related to exporting metadata to photos in order to preserve Lightroom tags and I had high hopes that doing that would fix my problem. Alas, it has not. I select all 11,000+ photos in my catalog and wrote out the metadata, and I was very careful to always export metadata for individual photos before editing it in Photoshop. I always launch Photoshop from within Lightroom to edit my photos.

So this weekend I was going to move on to scanning/importing/editing a few hundred more family photos into my catalog, but when I booted my computer (iMac) and launched Lightroom, I discovered that once again Lightroom has lost facial recognition tags. By this, I mean that when I go into People, faces that I have already identified countless times are once again showing up as Unidentified. After throwing a tantrum, I came back to this forum searching once again for an answer to this maddening problem and I see this one reply to my original post, and I've therefore taken the time to create some screenshots that will hopefully illustrate the problem.

In this first screenshot you see my People page. As mentioned, I have over 11,000 photos in this catalog, all family treasures that I've spent countless hours restoring and performing identifications of the people in them. In the screenshot you see that I have 654 Named People and 564 Unnamed People. Last weekend I went through the photos identifying people, again, and got the Unnamed People count under 400. Today it's back up to 564. In this screenshot, I see many faces that I've identified and reidentified multiple times.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.28.18 AM.png

For this exercise, I decided to focus on one photo where I know I've identified the people before. I scrolled down to the Unnamed People and see this:

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.09.08 AM.pngLots of faces in there that I have already re-identified multiple times. One of the faces that I see in that list is Benny Burtram, so I select him and display the photo in Lightroom. This next screenshot is that photo which has several people in it. Not only has Lightroom lost the identification of all the faces, but it's also deleted the face rectangles from the two people on the far right. Trust me, I've been through this numerous times, they were ALL identified previously.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.13.46 AM.png

Interestingly, if you look at the Keywords list to the right of Lightroom, you see their names listed. So somehow Lightroom has just lost the connection between the keywords and the facial recognition rectangles.

Finally, I decided to open up this same photo in Photoshop to see what metadata was listed within the file. This next screenshot is from the File Info screen inside Photoshop:

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.21.08 AM.png

Sure enough, there is a section within the metadata that contains all the names, although I don't know how to interpret the metadata to understand how Lightroom uses it.

I hope this better explains the problem I'm having. I can't keep doing this, I have far too much new work to accomplish in my geneology research to keep fighting Lightroom. I sincerely hope that someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or offer suggestions on a work-around. Right this moment I think I'm going to pretend that the facial recognition tags don't exist and may have to resort to going through all 11,000 photos one last time to manually enter tags so that Smart Collections will produce accurate lists of photos with certain names in them. If you've gotten this far, then I thank you for your time and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Today I opened this family photo catalog and it now has 755 Unnamed people, so it's lost even more connections. I'm trying to put together custom sets of photos to print for several family members and it's just making life much more complicated than it needs to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines