• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:Need a check box in Slideshow that automatically resizes the images to fit the screen in Play mode

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Slideshow, the image in the Template Preview correctly zooms to Fit, but when you Play the slideshow, or export the video, the image reflecst the original image size.  The only way to fix this is to open each image in PhotoShop, manually change the image size, and then resave the image back into Lightroom.  This is extremely tedious and timeconsuming when you have 100's of images in a slideshow.  A much better approach would be to have a "Check Box" in the Layout section that will automatically resize/zoom the image to Fit the screen in Play mode.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
50 Comments
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a bug. It's a design decision to prevent pixelation and the resulting 'Slideshow is pixelating my photos' complaints. You could add a request at Lightroom Classic | Photoshop Family Customer Community where you could garner support for this.

As to saying the code is built in, yes it is built in, but in a different area. It's not just a matter of copying and pasting. It requires large rounds of QA testing to make sure it's not actually causing worse issues.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the need to 'upscale' small images for a slide show.

I tried to make it as simple as possible within the limits of Lightroom (accepting the pixelating as noted by SeanMcCormack )-

1. Select ALL the images I want in the slideshow

2. Export all to one new Folder with [Add to Catalog] option checked on. Set Resize to dimensions ( 1920p = w1920xh1080)

3. Select all in this new folder for the slideshow.

After creating the slideshow video I delete the folder of resized photos (unless I see a future need to re-save)

Set the Resize option to suit the video you will export. eg. Resize could be 720p  (w1280 x h720) with less upscaling.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a profile picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

So the subject pretty much says it all. I'm interested in being able to sift through a folder of images like a slide show such that 1.) the images are stretched to "fill the frame" (by which I mean the longer side of the image fills edge to edge, leaving black on the shorter edge if the image is not the same aspect ratio as the screen — Lightroom Classic does this beautifully in Library or Develop mode when you go Full Screen) and 2.) they play back in random order.

What's confusing to me is that there appear to me to be settings in the Slide Show module to do both of these things: 1.) the "Zoom to Fill Frame" option and 2.) the "Random Order" option. And neither of them works. The images are shown at their "actual" pixel depth on the screen, rather than being stretched (so that in many cases there is black all around the images), and they play in the order of the folder, not randomly at all.

Am I being stupid? Do these options not do what it appears they should do?

Thanks for any advice!

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandwhichmonkey,

You didn't say but the one question I do have for you is the resolution of your images and the resolution of your screen. 

Here's the deal: lets say your images are 2400 x 2000 and your screen's resolutio is 3600 x 3000. Those images do not have enough resolution to display beyond 100% and that's all that the slideshow will allow. The images can be smaller than your screen but will not be zoomed in any further. To do so would make the images fuzzy and soft and then folks would complain that watching images in Slideshow gives fuzzy/soft images. 

Am I correct on the resolution issue or is it something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is that large pixel size images will down-size to 'fit' the slide-show screen, but small pixel size images will not up-size (re-sample larger) to fit.

[Zoom to Fill Frame] does NOT with 'small' images!  This is the "Check Box" that should zoom to fit! IMO

2022-02-04 07_16_26-Window.jpg

Your workaround with Photoshop to up-size is not needed- the same work-around can be done entirely in Lr-Classic, in ONE batch Export.

Select all the images for the slide-show and Export them with a Resize (uncheck 'Dont enlarge') with dimensions to fit the intended slideshow video format. Use the 'exported' files for the slideshow.

If your only intention is to create the video-slideshow, then the exported images can be deleted later.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, thank you for this option.  Is there a way in LR to maintain the image ratio when resizing?  For instance, in PS I was able to set the Height and PS automatically reset the Width based upon the original ratio of Height to Width.  I did not see the same functionality in LR.  This is important since many of my images are of different H to W sizes. 

I also found that slideshow will down-size, so I make the image height slighly larger than needed and it down-sizes properly to fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All 'Resizing' functions in Lightroom will not 'resize' to a specific ratio- That is a job for the Crop Tool- before you export.

The Resize in the Export dialog will only re-size images to 'fit' within the boundary of the Dimensions stated in the Export dialog.

So if you want all your images to 'FILL' a screen 1920 x 1080px, then you could-

1)  Create a new Collection with all your SS images. Hint: Create the Collection with VIRTUAL COPIES!

2)  Crop all the Collection VC images to the 'Ratio' required (16:9 for 1920x1080px). Do one-by-one where YOU check the crop, or [Auto-Sync] and let LrC crop all to 16:9. **Then preview each Collection image to check the crops were suitable to YOU. (Using VCs prevents you affecting your 'original' files!)

3) Export the Collection images with the 'Resize' dimensions required in the Export dialog. (eg. w1920 x h1080) and Check to Include in the Catalog! (so then you do not need to import the exports.)

4) Use the Exported files in the SS.

{ 5) Delete the VCs and Collection later if not needed again. }

It all sounds complicated but in reality, once you understand the method, you will realize it is relatively simple. A Collection of VCs is 'easy'. A batch crop is 'easy'. An Export using a Preset is 'easy'. Selection for the Slideshow module is 'very easy'. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob.  Would be a lot easier if there was a "Check Box" that would automatically zoom to Fit in Slideshow! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree!

There is a checkbox to Zoom Fill- but it doesn't with small pixel sized images.

Be good IF it worked!

Rob_Cullen_0-1644021238439.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to export a slideshow of about 100 photos, both landscape and portrait. It sets up properly in the program, but it won't export with all of the images at full screen. Even some images that are 1920x1080 aren't scaled to full screen. This seems like it's been an issue for people on here for years but there's no solution. Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Es heißt: "Klicke auf die Schaltfläche Abspielen, um die Diashow im Vollbildmodus wiederzugeben." Leider sind trotzdem Bilder dazwischen, die sehr klein wiedergegeben werden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a longstanding defect in Slideshow for many years.  Even when you have Zoom To Fill Frame selected at the top of the right column, photos with smaller dimensions than the frame won't be enlarged:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-need-a-check-box-in-slideshow-that-automati...

See this reply for a tedious workaround:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-need-a-check-box-in-slideshow-that-automati...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround for the specific case of images which don't fill the slideshow resolution because they have been heavily cropped down for composition / subject reasons - to concentrate on a bird that could not fill the framing as-shot, or whatever.  

Such images (or better, a virtual copy thereof) can have their crop boundary increased to show more of the original image's extent, until the needed cropped pixel dimensions are reached. Those numbers can be displayed on-screen e.g. in an info overlay, to help in doing this.

Then within this larger crop boundary, which now includes the needed number of pixels but shows more of the photo than you want: something close to the desired composition can be reinstated using the Scaling slider within the Transform panel. This adjustment in effect zooms (resamples) the original picture information on the fly, equivalent to what would have otherwise needed an export to do. It ranges from 50% to 150% sizing.

It won't be ideal, but it may do the trick - and without exporting and reimporting any intermediate image copy

richardplondon_0-1699987400099.png

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo, ich habe auf meine Frage viele tolle Antworten erhalten. Danke! Ich möchte nun keine weiteren mails mehr erhalten. Wie beende ich das

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many similar posts from the past several years were just merged into one thread in the Ideas section to make it more likely Adobe might pay attention. The volume of additional replies is likely to be very low. If you stop following this thread, you might miss an update from Adobe.  But you click Unfollow at the bottom of the first post if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate