Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slightly color shift from Lr to Ps, RAW format, same color space checked

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,
I detected this problem recently, don't know if it was because new updates from Lr and Ps or my graphics drivers... but the photos look slightly different in Ps than in Lr, and the same when I save it in Ps and get back to Lr. I checked everything and I'm unable to find what is causing it.

There are my system and software:
- Windows 10 64 up to date, Nivida Gforce GTX 1050 with the latest Studio Drivers.

- Adobe Creative Cloud up to date: Lightroom v10, Photoshop v22.0, Camera Raw v13.0.2

The configuration:
- Lr preferences to edit in Photoshop in TIFF, ProphotoRGB and 16 bits.
- Photoshop Color Settings in ProphotoRGB working space and all options to preserve embedded profiles, also checked that I'm not in proof colors mode.

See the problem below: left is Lr with the preferences panel, right is Ps with the color settings. See the slightly change in color on the face? Ps is more magenta and Lr is more yellowish

Color differences Lr and Ps.jpg
So I tried to edit directly from Lr in Ps and open as a smart object, same results. Even in smart object when I open de Adobe Camera Raw the shift in colors still there.

See below the Lr RAW at left, Photoshop (open as smart object) in the center, and the ACR when I open from Ps.

Color differences Lr and Ps smart object.jpg

Any idea what is causing this and how to solve it? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

SOLVED!

As the other custom profiles didn't have this problem, I opened them with a text editor to see the differences (xmp files are text files), and the only thing I saw is the following text line that my profila had and the others not:

crs:CameraProfile="Adobe Standard"

So I deleted this line, saved under a different name, checked and this time no problems detected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep trying things and narrowed the problem.

The thing is that I use a custom profile in Lightroom made by me (based on the Adebe Color profile with some twicks in Photoshop, then saved as a LUT and then saved as a color profile in ACR), well, the problem only appears when I use this color profile, using a standard profile or other external profiles (Adobe Color or any other I downloaded) the photos look the same.

I used this profile a lot in the past, is my main go to profile when edditing, and I never had this problem until now.

Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!

As the other custom profiles didn't have this problem, I opened them with a text editor to see the differences (xmp files are text files), and the only thing I saw is the following text line that my profila had and the others not:

crs:CameraProfile="Adobe Standard"

So I deleted this line, saved under a different name, checked and this time no problems detected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI adolfboluda

Interesting

you wrote "based on the Adebe Color profile with some twicks in Photoshop, then saved as a LUT"

this is an Adobe supplied ICC profile? 

can you describe how you do / did this please? 

firstly, how do you tweak the profile in Photoshop?

thanks
neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer
[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'll try to explain better:

Adobe Color is the profile I use to start my edits in Lightroom, if I'm not wrong is the default profile. After editing in Lr I used to do some color grading in Photoshop (curves, selective color adjustment...), but doing that for all the photos is a lot of time, then I discovered that you can export that Ps color grading into a LUT (cube format is what you'll need) and later on with ACR save it as a profile you'll have accessible on LR, so no need to edit in Ps to aply that color grading for each photo. You can find how to do this easily on youtube, but basically is exporting in Ps as a LUT the changes you want on your LR profile, then open ACR and go to the presets section, and push the button to create a new preset with the Alt key pressed (don't know why this is so hidden) and you'll have a Create profile instead of create preset, add the LUT you just created and save it. Next time you restart Lr you'll have this new profile accessible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great explanation, thanks

From what you wrote earlier, it seems, though, that this procedure may be flawed inasmuch as spurious text needed to be removed manually?

To explain further why I asked- 

My concern had been that you were attempting to edit an ICC profile in Photoshop - [being a colourmanagement guy "profile" means ICC profile to me!]

The editing of an ICC profile,  a Photoshop feature [edit/color settings/workingspaces RGB or CMYK - custom profile] that appeared to work but was said to be a hangover from a version of PS, perhaps as early as Photoshop 3 - and which is entirely inadvisable. 

thanks
neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer
[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"you can export that Ps color grading into a LUT (cube format is what you'll need) and later on with ACR save it as a profile you'll have accessible on LR, so no need to edit in Ps to aply that color grading for each photo."

I have never tried this, but a priori there's a big problem here: any given adjustment has very different meaning to a raw file and a rendered RGB file. Any fixed numerical adjustment will produce vastly different results. That has nothing to do with Photoshop, ACR or Lightroom - but is a result of how a raw file is constructed vs how an RGB file is constructed.

For that matter, it will also give different results in Photoshop on an sRGB file, an Adobe RGB file and a ProPhoto file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, not sure about thos big problems you say, for what I need it serves my purpose, that is having those changes I made in Photoshop in a Lightroom profile, so I don't need to open each photo (RAW format by the way) in Ps in order to achieve that, so I save in time and space (not having each photo duplicated as a RAW and as a PSD or TIFF because of Ps). Of course those changes I make on Photoshop are generic, intended to have a slightly change of tones that I can aply later to a wide selection of photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this issue is a known bug that will be solved in an update.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"I have never tried this, but a priori there's a big problem here: any given adjustment has very different meaning to a raw file and a rendered RGB file. Any fixed numerical adjustment will produce vastly different results. That has nothing to do with Photoshop, ACR or Lightroom - but is a result of how a raw file is constructed vs how an RGB file is constructed.

For that matter, it will also give different results in Photoshop on an sRGB file, an Adobe RGB file and a ProPhoto file."

The creative profiles added to LR 7.3 / ACR 10.3 are intended to produce the same look with raws and non-raws, including non-raws in different color spaces, even if the profiles include LUTs. When you define a creative profile in ACR that includes a LUT, you have to specify the color space of that LUT.  This allows Camera Raw to translate the LUT into its internal working color space and provide consistent results, regardless of whether the image is raw or non-raw (and regardless of the non-raw's color space).

For example, I defined a creative profile from a LUT and applied it to a raw, a TIFF exported from the raw in Prophoto RGB, and a TIFF exported from the raw in sRGB:

Untitled.png

When you compare these in Loupe, the Prophoto and sRGB TIFFs are nearly identical, though the raw has a little less contrast than the TIFFs.

Here's the original from which the TIFFs were produced:

Untitled2.png

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, got it. I said I hadn't tried it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines