• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow saving back from Photoshop

Contributor ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the new version a couple of days ago, saving is tremendously slower. Open a file from LR to PS. Edit in PS and save. Very slow when saving back to Lightroom. Any solutions? The delay is killing my workflow, time is money! No changes to my system, jus tthe new LRCC and PS. Windows 10, 32GB Ram.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else recently reported similar symptoms:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/tiff-coming-from-lr-classic-to-ps-are-incredi...

Please add your constructive opinion and details of your issue to the bug report, and be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

davidg36166309_0-1593044146125.png

davidg36166309_1-1593044146125.png

davidg36166309_2-1593044146126.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here's the latest. I've determined that the slowness is due to the NEW tiff compression algorithym. Turn that off and the file sizes are huge, but the spped is back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got LR Edit > Preferences > External Editing > Change compression setting to "none"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no “new TIFF compression algorithm;” nothing has changed there.

This is going to sound very very strange, but it’s probably the correct behavior now because Adobe fixed a bug.

For many years, if you set Lightroom Classic to send Photoshop a TIFF with ZIP compression, it was not actually applying the ZIP compression. This was reported to Adobe as a bug 8 years ago, and was finally fixed in Lightroom Classic 9.3.

Saving with TIFF ZIP compression has always been much slower than TIFF with no compression, even if you do it in Photoshop without involving Lightroom Classic at all. Because Lightroom Classic was not actually applying the ZIP compression for all those years, everybody thought that was the normal TIFF saving speed. But it was not, it was artificially fast because ZIP compression wasn’t being applied.

Now that Lightroom Classic 9.3 is finally applying the ZIP compression, files are now saving at the expected (much slower) speed of a ZIP-compressed TIFF file, but people think it slowed down due to some new problem. No, there is no new problem, it slowed down because now it really is saving as a ZIP-compressed TIFF.

So now we must make the same choice we already do in Photoshop: Is the space savings from ZIP-compressed TIFF worth the extra time required on every save?

I like the file size savings of TIFF ZIP, so I use it. Because Photoshop can save in the background, most of the time the long ZIP save time doesn’t bother me because I can keep working in Photoshop while it’s still saving. But someone with tight deadlines and lots of storage space could well decide that TIFF ZIP costs more money in time than it might save in the cost of storage, and go with LZW compression or no compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's consistent with what others are reporting. Please add your experience to the bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/tiff-coming-from-lr-classic-to-ps-are-incredi...

Adobe developers are actively participating in that thread but rarely come to this forum. Gather all the experience with this in the official bug report will make it more likely Adobe will prioritize a fix.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines