• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Preview / Export Exposure Problem

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I hope someone can help as I am having problems in LR CC with my Sony RAW / ARW files.

I’m currently shooting RAW on Sony A9 with in camera profile set to Standard / DRO OFF (I know it doesn’t make a difference when your shooting RAW).

When I important Lightroom CC (v.8.0) I always import with standard sized previews and then build smart previews. Profile is set to Adobe Standard as this is my preferred ‘look’.

When building has finished I usually change the name of the RAW folder so I can work quicker editing just the smart previews. (Use Smart Previews instead of Originals for image editing is also set in preferences).

I edit the images in Smart Preview and no problems, everything looks fine. Exposures are correct and no flashing / change in exposure when images are selected in Develop.

The problem is when I export. I change the folder name back to the original so Original Photo is displayed below the histogram.

Upon export to JPEG about 10 in 100 x images will come out under-exposed. They are being exported full size 6000px x 4000px and not smart preview size.

When I go back into Lightroom and click on the image that has exported under-exposed it flashes first to the correct exposure setting and then a few seconds later it shows the under-exposed image and this is what it is exporting.

This is very frustrating as I edit an entire wedding of 1000 x images in smart previews and around 10% are exporting underexposed.

I cannot edit just in Originals as its too slow! I must use Smart Previews.

Has anyone got any idea why this is happening?

Please please please help!

Screenshots of export settings below and video of the exposure / smart preview problem is here…

https://vimeo.com/297355998/d8ca24cec8

Thanks all

Jamie

LR CC 8.0

Camera RAW 11.0

Sony A9 / v.3.01

OSX High Sierra

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

3.1 GHz Intel Core i7

Colour Profile / Display calibrated with ColorMunki

EXPORT 001.pngEXPORT 002.png

EXPORT 003.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamie-goose  wrote

When I go back into Lightroom and click on the image that has exported under-exposed it flashes first to the correct exposure setting and then a few seconds later it shows the under-exposed image and this is what it is exporting.

Are any of your settings applied to the under-exposed images? I'm guessing you may have inadvertently skipped over these image files during the editing. That's possible if the underexposed images are stacked or perhaps you had a Library Filter set during editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images that were exported underexposed - in Develop they have had my preset applied and exposure has been adjusted +3.0 stops.

I checked and library filter is set to 'none'

Think the problem is that the Smart Previews somehow have not applied the Develop settings to the original file, hence I see the flashing of the exposure when I select the image...

https://vimeo.com/297355998/d8ca24cec8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the the original darken after a small pause in the Develop module, but the Basic panel settings don't change. What do the underexposed full-size original images look like in the Library module? I'm just wondering if Standard or 1:1 Previews are rebuilt does that fix the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When building has finished I usually change the name of the RAW folder so I can work quicker editing just the smart previews. (Use Smart Previews instead of Originals for image editing is also set in preferences).

If you set the "use smart previews for editing" preference I would not change the name of the folder as breaking the link to the originals and later restoring it is probably what is causing your issue. Setting the preference should be enough to speed up the editing as long as you have the smart previews available. I am pretty sure your problem is somehow caused by the images being intermittently available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit/you may want to look at my third reply first/

Before doing your folder rename trick, create a new folder in your Lightroom file structure, name it test. Select one of your RAW files and move it to test. Adjust the exposure slider to all the way under exposure, on purpose. Do your folder rename trick. Now, the smart preview, is it way way under exposed? Now change that your exposure to all the way over exposed. Undo your trick with folder name, how does RAW look?

By creating a specific folder, and by working on just one file you eliminate distractions, eliminate confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit/you may want to look at my third reply first/

Seperate inquiry, Your rename folder trick, You rename it outside of Lightroom, correct? And when you relaunch Lightroom, the folder panel shows a broken link, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is JpegMini? You are clearly applying it. Despite your last option, post processing, being do nothing, that plugin or whatever it is should not be showing up bottom left.

Ahh, it’s a preset. Top left, you are applying a user preset, apparently JpegMini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm getting the same problem with the A9 and LR. Did you find the answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At Ruben parra you have resurrected a thread over two years ago and LrC has advanced to version 10, what's a couple upgrades to Default Develop settings an camera profiles. It would have been better to creat a new thread and post specifics of your operating system and the version of Lightroom. Actual version number please.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines