Highlighted

smart previews LRc

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im at the point where I need to get my photos on external HD, I now realize I should have been making smart previews all along, which I think I can do. Question is, after I make smart previews of everything, I would hook up my external hard drive, then I would do ????? to free up space and still be able to edit my smart previews. Thanks

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

smart previews LRc

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im at the point where I need to get my photos on external HD, I now realize I should have been making smart previews all along, which I think I can do. Question is, after I make smart previews of everything, I would hook up my external hard drive, then I would do ????? to free up space and still be able to edit my smart previews. Thanks

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would hook up my external hard drive, then I would do ?????

In summary-  Move your image files to the external drive, then re-link the catalog to their new location.

Option#2 (suggesting to COPY files) in this blog article is good advice- MOVING PHOTOS- 2 Methods 

In this link you will find How to "Update Folder Location" in Chapter Part#2, and Part#3 talks about using Smart Previews-

FIND MISSING FILES AND FOLDERS- LIGHTROOM BLOG

https://lightroomkillertips.com/managing-smart-previews-lightroom-classic/

https://www.creative-photographer.com/smart-previews-lightroom/

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart previews belong on the same drive as the catalog file, not on the drive with the photos. That way, if the drive with the photos is not connected, you can still perform some tasks on the Smart previews.

So, it's really not clear what your goal is here. Free up space where?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
JimHess LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea of moving your images to an external hard drive to free up disk space on your main hard drive is a good one. You can do that without the need for creating smart previews. The only time you need smart previews is when/if you are going to need to have access to the images with the external hard drive disconnected. Then you can work with the smart previews, which would still be on the main hard drive, and the work you perform on those smart previews would have effect on the master images as well.

The best way to move your photo collection to an external hard drive, in my opinion, would be to copy the entire photo collection to the external hard drive. Then, in the library module, right-click on the topmost folder in your catalog and choose the option to update the folder location and point Lightroom to the folder on the external hard drive. So, ideally, if you have your photos organized so that they are all under one master image folder you would only have to do that exercise once and Lightroom would be reoriented to seeing the images on the external hard drive. Once you have verified that Lightroom is functioning properly you could safely remove all the images on the internal hard drive. Whether or not you need to create smart previews is something you will have to determine. One thing to remember is that when working with smart previews the option to edit in Photoshop is not available. In order to do that the master images must be online.

If your images are not organized under a single master folder then you'll have to repeat that update location process for each folder, but that only takes a few seconds for each one. Not really a big deal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 1