Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some ORF files unsupported or damaged, they used to be OK

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 10.2 Camera Raw 13.2 Win 10 

Many of my ORF files from my Olympus PEN E-PL5 are marked with an exclamation point in the photostrip and when they are chosen to view a label appears saying "The file appears to be unsupported or damaged." In the past these files appeared to display perfectly OK. These photos are stored in OneDrive. I am able to view them with Windows Photos both the Raw and Jpeg file and they look OK there, so apparently they are not damaged. Why are these apparently no longer supported? I had been quite happy shooting with Raw+Jpeg mode, but now I wonder. Lightroom does not allow me to unstack the ORF and JPEG, so I can't even view them in Lightroom, they appear as a blurry images. Creative Classic tells me I am up to date. Is there a way to get around this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the message says "unsupported or damaged", why do you conclude that the files are unsupported? They are most likely damaged somehow, almost always due to a hardware malfunction somewhere.

Try restoring a backup copy of the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 10.2 Camera Raw 13.2 Win 10 

I am able to view them with Windows Photos both the Raw and Jpeg file and they look OK there, so apparently they are not damaged. 

A RAW file is not an image but merely the recording from the sensor.  It has to be converted into an image which is where LrC may be having problems.

I don't know when you use Windows Photos if it displays the RAW file, unless you have installed the RAW file extension. It may be only displaying the embedded JPG for the ORF. As noted, there needs to be a conversion step.

As dj_paige suggests, it does sound like file corruption. I'd suggest trying to view the RAW files with Olympus Workspace or another viewer that you know will do a coversion from RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had been quite happy shooting with Raw+Jpeg mode, but now I wonder. Lightroom does not allow me to unstack the ORF and JPEG, so I can't even view them in Lightroom, they appear as a blurry images. 

I'm addressing this separately since it's a different question.

Not sure what you are trying to acheive. It sounds like you have your preferences set to not treat JPEG's found with RAW files as separate files. When I'm traveling, I'll shoot ORF and JPG in case I want to quickly send a copy out on social media. When I import into LrC, I only import ORF.

You can always export a JPG from ORG in LrC. The difference between it and the one created by your E-PL5 is that it will not have any of the camera settings that may have been applied in camera to the JPEG.

Don't know what you mean by they appear as blurry images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines